FX 9590 core damage

MaciejR

Prominent
May 7, 2017
PC freezes under CPU stress. When it begun CPU had old BIOS and was underclocked to 4GHz. Back then it used to freeze during normal work like just few minutes of internet browsing.
I updated BIOS and CPU turned to 4.7GHz. After few BIOS settings changes it works more stable but still freezes when CPU's under heavy load. A checked for different causes but nothing matches. It hits only up to 60 degrees when freezes. What it did was to turn off two cores in BIOS and then it all seems good.
My question is: Does it mean that some core is damaged? Or are there any other options?
I checked drivers, motherboard and RAM as well.

Solution
Its not that im saying imcompatible but possible damaged VRM's are as likely. Your CPU can strain even the best. Only 2 years is fast for a CPU to have that much damage.
May mean the CPU isn't getting enough voltage or stable voltage. Whats your motherboard? If its a 970 could be the VRM's cant supply stable power at that level. On some 970 motherboards even 4Ghz is to high. My ASRock 970 only supports the 8300 and 8320e for example. You want fans blowing on the VRM's even on the 990fx motheboards.

MaciejR

Prominent
May 7, 2017

My MB is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0)
The problem is that it's been working properly for over two years so I believe that it's sth damaged more than incompatible.

MaciejR

Prominent
May 7, 2017

Ok, thanks then. I'll try to check if there's sth to do with it