Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
My current specs:

mobo: MSI b85-g44
CPU: i5 4460
PSU: Corsair CX600M bronze
RAM: 4 gb ddr3 hyperx blue x2

GPU was a 970 evga sc 2.0 which is aparently dead... Pixaled screen after login, blue lines, grey and yellow lines, tried several clean installs of older and newer drivers...

I cant go for a 1070 as im still unsure 100% is the GPU, i cant test it or RMA it, so i can only go for a replacemente more than a direct upgrade. Sooooo....

Which one do i go?

Solution
Im going for the zotac 1060 amp in the end, only have read good things about it despite being a bit hot, seems to completely fulfill its role in all other departments and this is an emergency. The MSI is all good looking and has all the gaming flair, aside having better OC options, but i rather not play luck with my current PSU. Im going with the more afordable, solid and stable option.

Never had a zotac card, lets see how this goes. Thank you for your support guys.
I would have to say go with the RX 480 8GB. It is on sale now, and performs just the same as the GTX 1060. It's pretty much neck and neck. The 8GB of VRAM doesn't really matter since most games will barely hit 4GB, but it is nice to have. I just maxed out everything on GTA V on 1080p and I was using less than 4GB, and had a steady 65FPS during the benchmark.

So the choice comes down to price and warranty.

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015

In my country, Chile, prices are pretty much tied here, and warranties... yeah... i mean, my 970 is still under the evga warranty, but i would have to send it up to the US and that alone is 1/3 the cost of a new GPU...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
If it's strictly between the RX 480 and GTX 1060 i would lean the 1060 as it is stronger on average. The extra VRAM is helpful but the 1060 6GB is still the stronger card in most games depsite this. But don't you have the RX 580 available? If so, i would go that instead of either of them, it's the stronger of the 3.

Digital Foundry tests has a couple game comparisons across different resolution between all 3 if you want to take a look > http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-radeon-rx-580-570-review

Nonono, contact EVGA, they go out of their way and have the best service i've ever seen.
They paid express shipping to send my FTW Thermal Pad kit and sent along goodies with it as an apology since I preordered the card.
Contact them and say your card's died, but you can't afford to pay shipping and they'll sort you out or upgrade you to a 1060 or something.

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Im worried about the power draw, my PSU is 650 so it should be ok, but the pin are not 8 pin conectors but 6+2 ones, they should work just fine right?

Also, about the rx 580, there is only 4gb models of it here. A gigabyte one, not extreme or anything fancy, and the MSI gaming x model...

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
updated the first post, i lied about the PSU. I have a cx600m, which is consirably worse quality than the cs600... Still i don't run any overclocking, it would be able to handle a rx 480?

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
I just have a small selection of cards down here, prices are already bad with the value change (we talking 400 us or above for all of these... how i envy you ppl up there xD) i already contacted EVGA, sending the card up there is on my end and i will later during the month, but i need an inmediate solution.

My options right now are a rx 480 nitro, a 1060 MSI gaming x, and there is a gigabyte rx 580 (4 gb only tho, no 8gb models yet). There are more models, but they will not fit my case (triple fans... strix loves them) and EVGA cards... which im replacing.

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Its a very good value indeed, the MSI is one of the options.

Considering my country monitor market tho, getting the 480 could later help me to get into freesync, as gsync is absolutely restrictive... tho im still undecided on that one...

G-Sync slaps an additional $100 on a monitor's price, not worth it unless you're going higher res.
However, an RX 480 isn't worth it in terms of the sacrifices you're making with speed and optimization.
If you were to go for anything different i'd say save for a 1070, but that's up to you.
Freesync only limits the effects of low FPS, it won't actually give you more frames.
Why bother with Freesync when you can just have more FPS?

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Im going for the zotac 1060 amp in the end, only have read good things about it despite being a bit hot, seems to completely fulfill its role in all other departments and this is an emergency. The MSI is all good looking and has all the gaming flair, aside having better OC options, but i rather not play luck with my current PSU. Im going with the more afordable, solid and stable option.

Never had a zotac card, lets see how this goes. Thank you for your support guys.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS