970 sli question

bkrish546

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Hi guys,

My tier 5 power supply killed my motherboard and gpu :( so here I am. These are my hopeful specs:

i5 6600k
AsRock Extreme 4 Z170 micro ATX motherboard
GTX 970 SLI
750W Cooler Master GX power supply (tier 3)

Basically the 970 SLI costs £190 used, and for those of you who don't live in the UK, that would get you a brand new gtx 1060 3gb. If I invest £55 more, I can get a used 980 Ti. I want the card(s) to last at least 2-3 years before upgrading. The 970 SLI option is faster than gtx 1070 according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2nw6Sz4kY and the 1070 is basically a 980 Ti, but a bit slower with 2gb more vram. I am only playing at 1080p75, but the VRAM is my biggest issue. 3.5gb vram + 0.5gb is considered slightly low in the eyes of most people, but I only want to play e-sport titles such as overwatch at max settings. Nothing too demanding like gta v. Most benchmarks suggest that the sli 970 is faster than 980 Ti by 10%, but of course I have to take into consideration the extra VRAM. The 980 Ti however is 30% more expensive than the 970 sli config. I want to know whether paying the premium will give me a 30% increase in performance and whether its worth it in the first place. Secondly, I am concerned about case ventilation. My case has 1 fan slot at front, 2 at the side and 1 92mm at the back. 92mm is the only exhaust. There is a 120mm intake at the front. Note that my cpu heatsink is so big, it wont allow me to use either of the slots at the side. I can however fit two fans on the actual heatsink. One would be facing towards the 92mm exhaust fan and one would be facing the other way. I will be getting aftermarket cooled 970s though. Is it worth it?

Solution
sounds like shady stuff mate, why not save up a bit more and get something that u sure of. Id put the one your using in the main slot on top (not sure you can do it any other way really), to benefit more from the airflow really depends where the air goes where your fans are etc.

bkrish546

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
The rx 580 is £180 new. used rx 580s ent really a thing. The cost would equate to £360, which is spiralling out of budget. My other option for conserving VRAM is to buy two r9 390s, which are £105 each, but i would need a new 900w power supply.

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Yeah I see that wouldnt really fit the budget then.. hm I guess the 980 ti would be worth it over the sli setup then in my opinion, if you want to play with higher resolutions and ultra settings. But yeah really depends on what games u play, overwatch probably would gain more fps then from the sli setup

bkrish546

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from bkrish546 : "gtx 970 sli"

Hi guys,

Recently, I scored 2x GTX 970s for £165, which is $210 together. However, they are different brands and I wanted to know if they would go together in sli. Here is one: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N970IXOC-4GD#ov
Here is the other:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G.html#hero-overview

However, the msi 970 dude said that there are a few issues. Firstly, he said this: Hi, none of the issues of the card are affected in sli besides that if you have a display on this card after a while of being used and getting warm it can sometimes show a couple of pixels as green dots otherwise the gpu is good, I was running it in sli and didn't notice any of the issues till used it for testing.

He said it isn't an issue if you plug your monitor to the second graphics card. He also said there is a bit of coil whine but again, if you plug monitor to second card, it isn't there. Is this actually possible? Also, as one card is ITX and the other has quite a good cooler, which card should I keep on top/bottom and why? My case doesn't have great aitflow.

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
sounds like shady stuff mate, why not save up a bit more and get something that u sure of. Id put the one your using in the main slot on top (not sure you can do it any other way really), to benefit more from the airflow really depends where the air goes where your fans are etc.

Solution