RX 480 Running at x8 help

thisischarteris

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hi there, running the following system:
CPU: FX-8370
MOBO: MSI 970 Gaming
GPU: MSI RADEON RX 480 GAMING X 8G

I have checked today in the BIOS and on GPU-z and my GPU is only running at PCIe 2.0 x8 speed. It was previously running at PCIe 2.0 x16 speed, as confirmed by BIOS and GPU-z.

I have only a wifi card in a PCIe x1 slot above the GPU, and according to the manual for the 970 gaming, the PCIe x16 slot will run at x8 when the other PCIe x16 slot is filled. In my case, it is not.

Please help :D

Solution

Glad it worked out, thats strange that it happened. Usually the card is seated in and dust can't really affect it.
Do you have in this order installed the GPU and the wifi card?

- RX 480
- Wifi card

or

- Wifi Card
- RX 480.

If you have the last i mentioned, try switching the order. Put first the GPU, and after (you can put that PCI x1 in another slot without problem, for ex in the PCI x8)

thisischarteris

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Its wifi card,
RX 480

The wifi card is in a PCIe x1 slot which is above the main PCIe x16 slot.
The system was running when first built with the main PCIe x16 slot running in x16 mode. It may have been like it for a while but I noticed today in my BIOS and then checked it in GPU-z that the slot was running in x8 mode.

thisischarteris

Prominent
May 14, 2017
I tried moving the wifi card to the PCIe x16 slot at the bottom (x8 electrically I know :D), the gpu is still running in x8 mode. I tried removing the card completely and still GPU is running at x8

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Sounds like your motherboard is failing. Now that said the performance difference between x8 and x16 is very minimal, but if you're getting a lane drop like that the Motherboard is likely the issue. Try resetting the BIOS, if it still doesn't work then I'd say its warranty time.

thisischarteris

Prominent
May 14, 2017

:( I bought the mobo of a friend I think the warranty is gone now :(. I just wonder is there a setting somewhere I could have missed in the BIOS? I might try clearing the CMOS, otherwise ill check the warranty and maybe try to flash with the latest BIOS. cheers anyways guys :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

IIRC there is no way to adjust that in that BIOS but that is why I said try resetting the BIOS just in case there is some setting that affects it.

thisischarteris

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hi guys, thank you for all your help, today I tried blowing out the PCIe x16 slot with compressed air and I brushed down the connectors on the GPU, refitted everything and boom, BIOS and GPU-z reports PCIe x16 bandwidth :D. Must have been a big lump of dust in the connector somewhere. :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Glad it worked out, thats strange that it happened. Usually the card is seated in and dust can't really affect it.

Solution