Rx 570 - black screen while playing intensive games

maxpayne94

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hi guys, hope you're gaming smoothly. I have an issue I would like to share with you regardingy graphic card. I bought an Rx 570 Sapphire Nitro+ 4 GB for my build that I will be doing in few months and I have put it on an old rig for testing and gaming purposes. I tried this card on his 300W power supply and my pc crashed like black screen in intensive high graphical games. I made logs with GpU Z only to find out this is a power hungry card( I know how stupid of me not to consider buying a new PSU at that time) .

Anyhow, I changed the power supply after a week of waiting for my salary and bought an Antec 450W BP PRO . Everything was running fine while I was playing AC syndicate until i was middle way through and my computer hard crashed with black screen like before with 300W.

Here are my system specs:

Athlon II X4 635 2.9 ghz
6 gb ddr3
Asus m4 motherboard
500 gb hard drive
450w psu

I cant figure out what is the problem here. The TDP for this gpu is 200w max. I would apperciate your suggestions on this as I am totally upset what to do atm. P.s i told the computer guy to give me 500w pau but he didnt have at that moment and recommended me this 450w psu.

Also this crash. Did this harm my GPU or motherboard or anything ? I am new to computer builds and I am afraid it mightve weakened my gpu or something :( .

Solution

Deus Vu1t

Honorable
May 19, 2017

Dont confuse TDP limit with actual power consumption
Although the TDP of the RX 570 is around 150w, in very intensive scenarios, the cards power consumption will generally exceed this.

The minimum reccommended PSU wattage for the RX 570 is 500w. Now, thats not to say that it wont work with anything lower than 500w, but for intensive game scenarios, you'd be better off with a 500w.
Do you know what your total system power consumption is? AC Syndicate is a pretty intensive title itself so it might just be pushing all of your hardware to the limit.

As for damages, unless the PSU got overheated and died, I dont believe any serious damages would occur. Just make sure your PC is nice and cool, and dont use the PSU with this card in intensive games at high settings.

Refer to this article for extra info
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review/16

Solution