[SOLVED] 850 EVO 3MB/s seq write speed, normal-okay seq read

mauhjt2007

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hi all,

I've become a little stuck. I've just attempted to fresh install windows onto a new Samsung 850 evo 250GB, and after letting everything update and install, my seq write speeds are disgusting and it seems all my write speeds are pants. Currently pulling my hair out and the rest is going grey.

So AS SSD says: Seq read 508MB/s; write 3.46 MB/s
4K read 46.46 MB/s; write 24.06 MB/s
4K-64Thrd read 246.11 MB/s; write 34.40 MB/s
Acc.time read 0.046 ms; write 0.032 ms

Currently have AHCI mode on, connected to a SATA 6Gb/s port with OS optimised for SSD performance (according to Samsung Magician)

Current thoughts:

1) Dodgy Mobo? Have a M5a97 r2.0 which some people have been having problems with apparently
2) Dodgy SSD? I bought another Samsung 850 evo a while back and thought that one was broken due to similar issues.....
3) Dodgy OS? I had problems installing windows as it kept not finding the installation files from the win 7 disc. Entirely possible it's cocked up somehow.
3) Am I a muppet and missing something obvious? (entirely possible)

As always, would be very grateful for some help on this one....
KR
Dave

Solution
hey guys, weird one since all the sata ports on my mobo are 6gbps, but once I changed to port 1 for ssd and port 2 for my stage HDD all the speeds came up to expected. Perhaps it was a dodgy port. Thanks for the help guys.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

Have you tried a different sata cable? I was having issues with a drive and pulled the cable and only half of it came out, the clip that locks the cable was broken and stayed with the drive..

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
Some good stuff here..

The Ultimate Guide To SSD Benchmark Software
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/the-ultimate-guide-to-ssd-benchmark-software/

ATTO DISK BENCHMARK
"ATTO Disk Benchmarks: Direct I/O Access to accurately measure disk performance with minimal influence from the OS and the host platform. This provides important, objective data that can be used to measure raw, physical performance."

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/atto_disk_benchmark.html

mauhjt2007

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Hey! Would the read speeds be good even with a dodgy Sata cable? I'll switch cables around at the weekend if they can!

mauhjt2007

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
hey guys, weird one since all the sata ports on my mobo are 6gbps, but once I changed to port 1 for ssd and port 2 for my stage HDD all the speeds came up to expected. Perhaps it was a dodgy port. Thanks for the help guys.

Solution

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

I've had them break off completely, comp. still ran no problem :) But yeah if you use them a lot the connections can start to fail, they will still work but be hanging on by just a sliver of copper and less copper = lower speeds.