Is r7 250 gpu with AMD phenom 9650 cpu good pair?

DustyCircuit

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
I recently got an r7 250 video card used, no I didn't buy it I got it from my sister when she upgraded her gpu. But I wanted to put it into my system to see if it would give me any performance increase over the gt 610 I was using before. I know I should just upgrade to a newer platform, but I can't afford that right now and any performance increase would be great for me. btw I only play minecraft nothing too intense. Another reason I wanted to upgrade my gpu is cuz I seem to studdery youtube playback while minecraft is running. I also look at my cpu/gpu usage and the gt 610 is above 90 percent usage all of the time except for occasional lag spikes, and the cpu usage hangs around 30 to 40% most of the time but can climb to 60% or so when I'm flying around and doing other intensive stuff.

DustyCircuit

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
I also notice that the card uses pcie 3.0 x16 but my motherboard only has pcie 2.0 x16 and according to gpuz it only runs at 2.0. Does that affect gaming performance or is any dips in fps the fault of the aging cpu?

DustyCircuit

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Been using the gpu for about a week now, but now I've having an issue where for some reason my pc just freezes up completely. When it is frozen it dosen't respond to anything whatsoever and the only way out of it is unplugging the power cord. I would really like to know the cause of this and even a fix if possible as I know unplugging your pc while its on is not good for it at all. It tends to just happen out of the blue no matter what I'm doing at the time. Since its a total lockup I'm fearing they're might be something horribly wrong with the card as it never did that when I had the gt 610 installed. I do know last time it happened I had multiple applications open at once. But the fact that it only happens with the r7 250 tells me they're might so something wrong with it idk.