Will 1080 Founders be compatible in SLI? Plus feedback on build?

MeltingLava

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Hi everyone,

I already own a 1080 Founders edition card (MSI).
I wanted to know if it'll be compatible in SLI with EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING (link here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245&ignorebbr=1) or will I HAVE to get another MSI Founders edition 1080 to run them in SLI

I'd like feedback on https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N4VczM
I plan to liquid cool this eventually using a custom loop; but going for the Corsair CPU Cooler for the time being

Solution
It's possible but not recommended for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the FTW sucks, if you absolutely had to get an EVGA you want the FTW 2.0, I don't like EVGA but I understand they make decent cards, just not that one.
Secondly, any Founder's edition will work, it doesn't have to be an MSI specific one (i'm like 95% sure on this)
Third, Any card you get that has a factory OC, the OC will be useless, because the FE will hinder the other's performance (effectively removing the OC). That is why it is always recommended to get two of the exact same cards so you will get as close to the same performance as possible.

But all of that said it should work, it's just not 100% ideal.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
It's possible but not recommended for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the FTW sucks, if you absolutely had to get an EVGA you want the FTW 2.0, I don't like EVGA but I understand they make decent cards, just not that one.
Secondly, any Founder's edition will work, it doesn't have to be an MSI specific one (i'm like 95% sure on this)
Third, Any card you get that has a factory OC, the OC will be useless, because the FE will hinder the other's performance (effectively removing the OC). That is why it is always recommended to get two of the exact same cards so you will get as close to the same performance as possible.

But all of that said it should work, it's just not 100% ideal.

Solution

MeltingLava

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Thanks EpIckFa1LJoN, that makes sense and clears up my dilemma; I think I will get another founders card and then overclock them in SLI
Could you give me some feedback on the build overall too?

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
It's a solid build except a few things.

1.) you won't need that big of a PSU, and if you were going to spend that much on one, I would get a Seasonic Prime 850. It should still be plenty for your system and it will be a heck of a lot better of a PSU, I have one it is friggin awesome.
2.) I don't like the RyZen CPU's. If you are gaming it's overkill and doesn't outperform even a 7700K. But it looks like this is a serious performance PC (editing/rendering) in which case it looks great, except the PSU, which again I would go with a Seasonic Prime 850. Titanium rating and dead silent, plus more than enough power for two 1080's.
3) Cooling: I also prefer bigger rigs with better airflow and room for a Corsair Hydro H115i, it will cool a lot better just because of the extra surface area, and I believe 140mm fans are a tad quieter (I could be wrong).

Other than that it looks great, but again that's assuming you are doing some serious editing/rendering. For gaming you could build a way better rig for much less. Just throwing that out there.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Another few notes just in case:
CPU: The 1800x is great for price to performance, especially if you are unwilling/unable to get a 6950x (it would be a tiny performance increase, and you would have to spend an arm and a leg for that rig.)
Cooler: A good cooler, but as stated above, I prefer the 240mm H115i
Board: Great board love the Maximus line
RAM: Seriously hard core RAM I love it.
Drive: Awesome drive I have the exact same one it is faster than a cheetah and runs like a boss. I would supplement it with a few 850 Pro's (if you need the speed) or if you need a ton of space a bunch of 1TB WD Black HDDs depending on your needs.
Case: Decent, I'm a big fan of Corsair cases though, great airflow, minimalist looks.
PSU: A bit overkill and I am NOT a fan of Corsair PSU's recently. But if you were going to get a Corsair that would be the one to get.

MeltingLava

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Thanks, that's perfect!
You're right about the rendering and editing part; this isn't for gaming
I'll swap out the PSU with the one you suggested, and give some other cases thought. I do love the look of the Evolv but I haven't explored many Corsair ones and I like a minimalist look so will check it out.
(again) Thank you so much

TRENDING THREADS