i5 6500 gaming issue.

Blahskii

Prominent
May 18, 2017
so yesterday i decided to reinstall the witcher 3 and mess around, id been playing outlast and watch dogs 2 but noticed that my performance was terrible for some reason and had been for couple weeks i hadnt done anything about it do to me getting sucked into overwatch which could run at 60 on a potato. with the witcher typically id get about 70-90 frames at all times even in cities and then after the first install i was dipping hard into the 40s no matter where i was toping out at 55 ive read people saying on forums that thats just how the game is but ive had it running perfectly and seen multiple videos of people with lower tier hardware getting much better performance.

i was so mad i whipped my whole hdd and reinstalled my os and every driver but it still performs terrible after a 2nd download. i just got finished clean uninstalling my graphics driver in safe mode and reinstalling.

while set to lowest settings the cpu utilization stays around 80% and 50c while at highest its between 80-90% never reaching full yield and not generating worse frames i know the i5 is bottle necking but it shouldnt be this bad.

specs:
msi armor gtx 1080 oc
gigabyte z170 sli
i5 6500 3.2 ghz
8gbs ddr4 3.2ghz
windows 7

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Hey I fixed it. Still don't know what "it" was but I reinstalled my os upgraded to Windows 10 reinstalled my drivers and when I got in game everything cleared up getting 85-110 in open world/ small towns and 70-90 in novi.
I think for some reason my gpu just wasn't being utilized properly figured at 1080p I should only see 30-50% but it's now showing 90-99%...
Do you experience poor performance only in witcher 3? If not go MSI AB and set gpu clock to default if u have overclocked it. If it doesnt help download rivatuner, tweak it to show cpu/gpu usage, while playing witcher 3 watch these values. At the same time keep your look on temperature just in case.

Blahskii

Prominent
May 18, 2017

I'll test in other games. As for the witcher Usage for gpu is low 30% while on lowest preset and 50 whille maxed out cpu utilization on low stays around 80 and high pushs it to 90. The temps for both stay bellow 55c.

Wow, seems that your gpu bottleneck your CPU pretty hard. What is your RAM usage during gameplay? Do u use 2x4 or 1x8 RAM?
Also 8GB of ram is pretty low, try to disable as many background tasks as you can and try run the game again. Like web browser, any tasks that u dont use.
Also this game is quite heavy on CPU too, so 55FPS on ultra? is pretty decent. Is it 1080p btw?

Blahskii

Prominent
May 18, 2017

Yeah it's 1080 the ram usage was 5 gigs or so and I'm using 2 4gb sticks. The frames fluctuate like crazy though a single building and I'm back to 40 turn away from them and I'm at 50. Youtube search "gtx 1080 i5 6500 witcher 3 benchmarks" there's a couple I've found with exact same or less than hardware and they dont have this problem. It's hard to go back to playing this game with a huge problem like this especially since it was working just fine 90fps and barely dipping. I'm going to bed ill post the other games test on here tomorrow if you think of anything else i should try let me know.

Blahskii

Prominent
May 18, 2017

Hey I fixed it. Still don't know what "it" was but I reinstalled my os upgraded to Windows 10 reinstalled my drivers and when I got in game everything cleared up getting 85-110 in open world/ small towns and 70-90 in novi.
I think for some reason my gpu just wasn't being utilized properly figured at 1080p I should only see 30-50% but it's now showing 90-99% utilization.

Thanks for the help:)

Solution

Nice, happy gaming!