i5 6400 upgrade

basielyo

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Current PC specs:
i5 6400. Gtx 1060 3gb. 8gb ddr4. H110 mobo. Vc239h 60hz monitor.

What upgrade path would be the best choice.

A- sell my current procie-mobo-ram and get Ryzen 5 1600 bundle

B- sell current monitor and get 144hz monitor

Or

C- buy mechanical keyboard and better mouse, i'm currentlg using cheap ones

Games I'm playing
Dota 2. For honor. Some AAA games

Solution
Rethink the problem that impacts you most.
I might guess that you have some money to burn to improve your pc.

The combo of I5-6400 and GTX1060 is a good one.

Option A

As far as I know, your games are not highly threaded and can use 2-3 threads.
The ryzen upgrade to 1600 is good only of you can effectively use 5 or more threads.
The single thread processing capability is virtually identical.
I rate this option as a sideways move.
Your I5-6400 has a clock of 2.7 that is a single thread passmark rating of 1822.
If you need a cpu improvement, sell the I-6400 in favor of something like a I3-7320@4.1 passmark 2394(about $150).
Or a I3-7350K@4.2 which costs the same even if you can't overclock on your H110 motherboard.

Option B

If you...

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016
I would probably say the Ryzen upgrade. Just check and make sure the bundle you get is actually worth it, since you already have the RAM then it might be better to just get a 1600 and motherboard on its own.

Rethink the problem that impacts you most.
I might guess that you have some money to burn to improve your pc.

The combo of I5-6400 and GTX1060 is a good one.

Option A

As far as I know, your games are not highly threaded and can use 2-3 threads.
The ryzen upgrade to 1600 is good only of you can effectively use 5 or more threads.
The single thread processing capability is virtually identical.
I rate this option as a sideways move.
Your I5-6400 has a clock of 2.7 that is a single thread passmark rating of 1822.
If you need a cpu improvement, sell the I-6400 in favor of something like a I3-7320@4.1 passmark 2394(about $150).
Or a I3-7350K@4.2 which costs the same even if you can't overclock on your H110 motherboard.

Option B

If you now run at a steady 60fps and need more for good gaming on your games, then a faster monitor is good.
But, first see if your cpu has the power to run at higher fps.
Lower the resolution and eye candy and run your games.
If your fps improves, your cpu can handle it.
Then, you may be faced with needing a faster graphics card to match.
A plus of a good second monitor is that it makes other desktop work so much easier.
A side monitor is useful while gaming to keep such things as monitors or email open.

Option C

On keyboard and mouse, I would want to try out the specific options first before spending big bucks.
Likely, that is not convenient so buy from a place which will accept returns for a modest restocking charge.

Option D

Do you have a SSD?
It is one of the most satisfying performance upgrades you can make.

Solution

basielyo

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thanks man for this detailed answer. So I'll start my upgrade with ssd. I wanted a smoother and more enjoyable gameplay and I can only do one option. Option A would be pointless right now, for you am i right? And B would be the better choice? I dont think i want to game in dual monitors so that may be out. Actually i've done research on the mkb and mouse but still dont know what would be the better option

You will be pleased with a ssd.
Not so much for gaming, but everything else.

There are very few dual monitor games; My thought was to buy a better monitor to game on and still reuse the old monitor for desktop work.

Yes, I think a ryzen is somewhat of a sideways move for you.

basielyo

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thanks, man. Appreciate it