is RX 580 +9% performance worth the extra wattage?

so the title should already explain my question, as you all know RX 580 had a TDP of 185w unlike its predecessor RX 480. Is it worth it? i mean, extra 35w will affect my electricity bill a lot ( coz i play a lot ) :??:

:??::??::??::??::??::??::??::??::??::??::??:

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Will it? If you assume the entire 35W six hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, at the average US electricity price it will cost you $0.77 a month. And that's a pretty aggressive power use assumption. Now, if you live in an extremely high cost electricity area, that would be a couple bucks (at the aggressive power use assumption, that is).

ah yes, i forgot to mention that im from other country ( indonesia to be exact ), well from what i know the electric bill around here is so so, but last time i played aggresively, my electricity bill cost around 110$, while the one who mostly stays at home is me, so my parents went crazy coz usually the bill only cost half as much, right now i tried to reduce the cost by not turning up my air conditioner but i was wondering if after i upgrade my gpu the bill would went back up again :/

thanks for the suggestion bro, no offense, but to be honest, all im asking is the +35w worth it for the +9% increased performance, i already knew that nvidia always wins at terms of wattage but what im looking right now is a 2-4 years of future-proofing against the upcoming dx12/vulkan implementation, and amd provide that for the moment :v other reason is that nvidia are highly priced around here... 262$ is the lowest for the 6 gb (zotac and non oc) while i can get sapphire's nitro+ oc for around 253$, and also, I heard that free sync monitor is much cheaper than g-sync monitor

I can bet that the difference in the electricity bill was not caused by the pc but more likely the air conditioning. A good single unit air conditioning can consume as much as a typical vacuum cleaner. So I suggest you to get the RX 580 8gb. Also keep in mind that 185W is the TDP (thermal design power) not the actual power consumption. For example, my overclocked R9 390 is a 275W TDP GPU but only consumes 200-220W while under full load.

Solution

Your 400W is not enough for a RX 580 system. You need to get a good quality PSU from a reputable brand. 500W is listed as minimum for an RX 580:
http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3918&graphics=Radeon%20RX%20580%20Sapphire%20Nitro+%208GB
Sursa Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W is about the minimum I would get. 80+ bronze efficiency
Better efficiency (80+ Gold).
Evga Supernova g2/g3 550 or g3 650.
A 550W is more than enough with a quality PSU.

Thank you for the reply :)