R9 290 with Corsair CX 500M?

CharlesLewisM

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hey guys!

My friend gave me his r9 290 for free and I have no graphics cards on my computer. I have an intel g4400 and 7.2K rpm HDD and that's pretty much it.

Should I install the r9 290 with my corsair CX500W? Apparently he says that he gets black screens when he tried to install it, before I give it a shot I just wanted to know if it'd overload my psu or not. For safety measures I will try to underclock it as much as I can.

Thank you guys!

Solution
Not the most reliable PSU but it will power the card ok .

The black screen during install is pain in the bum . Sometimes its where the driver cant read the monitors info so it produces a signal beyond the monitors reach (out of range ) .Most of the time the card will actually be working (even with black screen)and can be solved by trying different displays and hdmi connection.

Yamitime

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Not the most reliable PSU but it will power the card ok .

The black screen during install is pain in the bum . Sometimes its where the driver cant read the monitors info so it produces a signal beyond the monitors reach (out of range ) .Most of the time the card will actually be working (even with black screen)and can be solved by trying different displays and hdmi connection.

Solution

CharlesLewisM

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
I tested furmark before and it went blackscreen after 3 seconds under load, should I switch the dvi cable the next time I do it? I installed with the cd since installing via download on amd website gave me blackscreen forever.