Will an EVGA 650 Watt Power Supply Run my New Computer?

Amanuel_20

Prominent
May 27, 2017
I recently got all the parts to assemble my PC but I believe I skimped out on my PSU. I've got a 650W 80+ gold power supply and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to power these specs:

Standard ATX desktop motherboard.

CPU: Intel 5 7600k

GPU: GTX 980 TI

RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4

Storage1: SATA 7200 rpm

Storage 2: 500 GB SSD

Cooling:
2 x 120mm Fan
1 x CPU fan (cooler master 212x)

SIDENOTE: I did run the numbers on neweggs calculator and it came out to be roughly 660W of power needed. Thus, should I get a 750W PSU to give myself a bit of headroom?

Solution

Hi - Yes, a good quality (emphasis on good) will run that system. Calc is in error (way overestimating) as
your CPU & GPU account for most of the power & they consume...

Hi - Yes, a good quality (emphasis on good) will run that system. Calc is in error (way overestimating) as
your CPU & GPU account for most of the power & they consume ~400w.

However, not all 650w PSU's are created equal and you should post the model you have, or
post your budget here if you want to upgrade. A 750w isn't necessary, but also wouldn't do any
harm as the components pull only what's needed. The 980ti is a power hungry card.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Amanuel_20 : "Will an EVGA 650 Watt Power Supply Run my New Computer?"

I wouldn't buy the GQ , stick to a series that has a better OEM , get a G2 . G3.

GQ is ok , but not great.