3770 with GTX 295

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
I was basically trying to do a max xp 32 bit build for win 95 - early 2000. Would the GTX 295 be a good option with a 3770 plan on also dule booting win 10 64 if possible

Solution
i7 3770 is a very good processor even these days. Yes windows 10 will boot , because of the processor you have not the gpu. Both should be recognised by the system. If not , than it's just the gpu. In my opinion if you want something better get new gpu or at least used gtx 950 (approximately 100 usd) and have this pc for everything that you ever need (for example gaming). If you just need it as a work station , I wouldn't bother with gtx 295 though. i7 3770 does have integrated gpu and it will work without the external nvidia gpu :)

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
i7 3770 is a very good processor even these days. Yes windows 10 will boot , because of the processor you have not the gpu. Both should be recognised by the system. If not , than it's just the gpu. In my opinion if you want something better get new gpu or at least used gtx 950 (approximately 100 usd) and have this pc for everything that you ever need (for example gaming). If you just need it as a work station , I wouldn't bother with gtx 295 though. i7 3770 does have integrated gpu and it will work without the external nvidia gpu :)

Solution

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
So basically I should probably get a different CPU unless I just want it to be bottlenecked buy the gpu... would that gpu be fine for the old 16 bit games and such that was the purpose for the build maxed out xp system

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
You can use your cpu by itself for gaming with 16 bit games. To be ohnest your cpu is made to deliver more power for the games that are current. If your dream is to back in time , than try to install windows xp on this system and go to the old days. Still I suggest to install windows 10 and get a new gpu to be able to maintain the rig for future. Keep that in mind that this cpu will be enough to play on (with new gpu of course :D) for the next 5 years. It will bottleneck the gtx 1070 for sure , but still it will do the job :)

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
I know that the windows 10 doesn't support them. That's why I said that if you want to go back to the old days just install windows xp. I don't know how big the bottleneck will exactly be though , but I know that it will be huge. If you need an external gpu for 16 bit games , I suggest even going with older cpu. I've got no idea about compatibility with these games , so in order to know more you need to wait for the answer from someone else. Hope I helped just in some percentage! :)

Don't get the 295 as it's a dual gpu card and a lot of older games refuse to launch when the second gpu is enabled. Get something like a hd 5870 they are cheap and are amazing for older games + have really good compatibility in win xp.

The is a card that consists of 2* gtx 280's on a single card. Both 280's are in sli and this is why I advice against using this for older games as these cards are on 1 pcb and are more likely to cause issues even when you disbale 1 of the 2 to play games.