1080 ti overheating...

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017
Here is my pc spec

Product Quantity Chillblast Fusion Ares X99 Gaming PC 1 NZXT H440 Mid-Tower Case White/Black Case - Does Not Support an Optical Drive

1 Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Cored 3.60GHz Processor (Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz)

1 Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

1 Generic thermal paste

Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5 Intel X99 Motherboard 1

16GB Corsair/Crucial DDR4 2133MHz Memory (4 x 4GB sticks)

1 Chillblast AMD Radeon R9 285 2048MB Graphics Card 1

250GB Samsung 850 EVO Solid State Drive

1 Seagate 2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps

Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU 1

Onboard High Definition Audio 1

Windows 8.1 64 bit 1

I have recently bought a MSI geforce GTX 1080 ti (the one with the twin frozr VI fans)

I have removed my old graphics card and installed this one. I then booted my pc and installed the msi live update tool and the gaming app tool. I made sure they were up to date and then proceeded to install my nvidia drivers. After installing those my pc turned off (full power off) and immediately rebooted. After it did this the second time round (these crashed happened when gaming) I found out my graphics card was overheating (I opened the case and it was quite hot) I am unsure if the heat and the shutdowns are related but I am seeking advice to fix this. Please help.

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

I have installed afterburner it seems that I may have lack the temperature lock and gpu throttling that this has. I will endeavour to test and return to you once I know whether this solves this problem. Thanks.

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
One more thing. Download the heaven benchmark and give me the screenshot of temperature gpu usage etc from msi afterburner as well the screenshot of benchmark results. Hope I can help you with that! :)

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Here are the requested images. I'm stunned at how well this card works.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kX10z

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
You can compare it to my gtx 1070 card.
YYk0xy7.png

PS. I need you to run the benchmark again and show me stats from msi afterburner that are showing gpu usage and temperatures. You can change your msi afterburner skin to green and make a screenshot that should look like that (these are the ones to the right) :
JwO2CDF.png

Make sure that you do the screenshot of temperature gpu usage etc. shortly after running the test (not more than 10-20 seconds after you run it.

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Sorry about the missed information. Here is the ammended link: http://imgur.com/gallery/k9Whl

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
The card itself is VERY VERY cool. 51 degrees seems like dream. I think that there is nothing wrong going on with your card for now. If you do have some games (more demanding like the witcher 3 etc.) run them for me and if you have any kind of stuttering or system turning off then contact me. To make sure that everything will work fine you can reinstall the drivers with program I suggested before : http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html . It whipes out all driver related files from registry and makes your card run like after a fresh reinstall of windows.

But I have to tell you one more thing that will not make you sad. This rig is overpowered and I can not see anything wrong with it. It runs perfectly , as I said test it in games and if you have any problems come back here and I will help you more. For now congratulations of having such a beast. :D

Here are my gtx 1070 heaven results :
mfe4cBb.png

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Thanks for all the necessary help. I am so happy with my rig and card although they are overpowered it is going to be staying with me for a while into the future. I will select your answer as the correct one later in the week if things continue to work as they have been and thanks once again.

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017

Once again no problem. But please make sure that you play some games and contact me later if the things go the good way or wrong way. I don't want to leave you on ice. :D

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

If you'd like to see how it's handling things stop by my stream. https://www.twitch.tv/thelittlegnomedoesatwitch

It seems to be handling it much better than yesterday.

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

The stream is constant gaming for multiple hours. Hence the relevancy.

Just because your system crashes, doesn't mean it is overheating. Those temperatures are extremely low. It's much more likely that your PSU is failing to provide proper power.

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

You're wrong. It's overheating because it hits 90c then cuts out. Also my PSU is more than enough.

Also it's too hot to even touch when the pc crashes.

1) You haven't provided anything that shows high temps. Perhaps you can show us those 90C in a pic, but assuming it does hit that temp, that is too high, though not necessarily crashing high.
2) It's normal to not be able to touch the GPU. Normal operating temps are near 83C, That's hot.
3) Just because the PSU is rated at 750 watts, doesn't mean it is good enough, or not failing. Or you can even be using the wrong pluggins which aren't rated well enough for PCIe.

Anyways, it would be a lot easier if you could show us those high temps.

Harry_112

Prominent
May 28, 2017

I have been running diagnostics for 6 fucking hours. I suggest you don't talk down to me and tell me I haven't provided a picture. How am I supposed to provide a picture of an off screen showing the temperature. Considering the visual software is always lower than the actual GPU temperature it still wouldn't be accurate. Also considering I've just bench marked all my hardware and the only fault was the button battery on my motherboard getting the wrong voltage for 1 minute (After running it for 12 hours) It then corrected. I told you exactly what was wrong with it because I know what was wrong with it. I was seeking a solution not diagnosis.

How is a screen shot of those high temperature going to help you at all. Other than tell you what I told you from day one.

We are only trying to help you here. You continue to show us pictures of the problem, which shows very low temperatures. Why should we believe that there are temperature issues, if what you keep providing us is showing low temps? The only evidence you seem to have that there is a temperature issue is that the GPU feels hot to the touch. Even a normal operating GPU is going to be too hot to touch.

As to how to provide visual evidence, there are a few ways to do this. You can use MSI Afterburner's on screen display settings to show the temps while you game, and then use screenshots. You can provide the same screenshots of MSI Afterburner that you already showed us, after you game on it for a few minutes. Even if you take the screen shot several minutes after you quit gaming, it will show you the highest temperature it reached. You should get near max temperature within a few minutes of gaming.

We are only trying to help you. For us to simply take your word that the GPU is overheating, despite everything you have shown says otherwise, is not very helpful to you.

Anyway, good luck getting help.