RX 480 New Drivers cause my PC to crash?

zedsterthegr8

Prominent
May 29, 2017
So, I have this XFX RX 480 8GB Reference card for almost a year. But just starting last week, after updating to the newest drivers (without DDU) from 16.8.2 to 17.5.2, my PC reboots while in-game.

First it started when I was playing HITMAN, only about 30 mins in, the pc does an instant reboot. I tried Prey, The Surge, Nier, BF1, even Dont Starve and my PC still restarts after about 10-30 mins in. My first run using Furmark lasted about 3 mins until it rebooted, but my second try (after letting my PC cool down for a day) didnt even show the burn in test.

I checked my GPU temps using HWMONITOR and AMD WATTMAN and it only reach about 40C on idle up to 75C in game. Even my CPU only reaches 45-55C in game. During Furmark's 3mins test, GPU was only 70C then died.

I have already tried downgrading my GPU drivers back to the first drivers I used before. And it still reboots. But surfing the web, working using Office, and editing using Photoshop is fine though.

My specs are:
Mobo: MSI Gaming B150M
CPU: Intel i5 6500 Skylake
Ram: Team Elite DDR4 2x8GB 2133mhz = 16GB
GPU: XFX RX 480 8GB Reference
PSU: ENERMAX MAXPRO +80 500W

tl;dr
1. PC is 1 year old
2. After updating GPU Drivers, pc starts rebooting in game after 10mins
3. Furmark just causes reboot
4. GPU and CPU temps are fine
5. Problem started after installing newest drivers (forgot DDU), after downgrading (using DDU) problem still insists

zedsterthegr8

Prominent
May 29, 2017

@amdrx480, thanks for the reply. I opened MSI afterburner, no OC. I opened furmark, did a test 720p windowed. It lasted 8 seconds before crashing. The Power Wattage the GPU used was 109 watts at max. But died when it was it throttled down to 90w. Fans went 80%. GPU usage was 1300MHZ.

zedsterthegr8

Prominent
May 29, 2017
It seems when I tried to play Battlefield 1, it was okay for 1 hour. I always minimized the game to see me temps. Only 75C, 1233MHZ, and fans 80%.
But, right when I try to go back to the main menu. The PC reboots. I did another test, but this time only 10 mins in. Right when I click "exit back to menu", PC reboots. What's up with that?

tl;dr
1. first test for 1 hour was smooth, but went back to main menu, system rebooted
2. second test for 10mins was smooth, but went back to main menu, system rebooted
3. Confused wth is up@_@

zedsterthegr8

Prominent
May 29, 2017

I have decreased power by -20% in MSI AB.
The test lasts waaay longer now.
Temp is 67C
GPU Clock is 618MHZ
Fan Speed is 75%
Power W is 87.5 Watts, stable at this number...
But FPS from 100fps (No power change) to 80fps (after power change)

Does this mean my PSU is not supplying enough power for my PC?
Btw, test is already 5 mins in, and no signs of rebooting

zedsterthegr8

Prominent
May 29, 2017

Alright, thanks, man. Appreciate your help. Might probably get a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V.
Thanks for all the help, guys

al-seraidy

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Hi,

I know I'm a bit late into the thread, but I had the same exact same problem with the same exact RX 480 make, and I'm really curious as to what did you to fix it, that is if you already did.

I managed to fix it, and it turned out that it wasn't my PSU like what everyone told me it probably was. Instead, It was the latest drivers, and I figured that out by noticing that the FPS on some games drops considerably low, even when on low settings, as well as very high temperatures, which in no way could be the PSU.

I very much simply fixed it by installing the drivers that came with my XFX in the CD disk, which solved everything from the high temperatures and FPS drops, to the reboots while in-games.

I just wanted to throw that out for anyone who might have a problem with their GPU with no luck in changing their PSU.

Thanks and have fun gaming!