RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB?

Solution

Hi Friend, as noted...comparable GPUs, though I'd lean towards the RX 580 for several reasons:

1. AMD FreeSync; though arguably "less optimal" than G-Sync...the chances of your next monitor being FreeSync are higher than nVidia's adaptive refresh tech. This point is mute if you have plans for a G-Sync monitor in your future.

2. More Video Memory; though you'll most likely hit the processing ceiling of the GPU before using the extent of the 8GB VRAM...I'd still call the RX 580 more "future proof" in this respect

3. [subjective] Greater Gaming Longevity; despite being an nVidia fanboy, I've been frustrated at their gimicky support of DX in the...

toddybody

Distinguished

Hi Friend, as noted...comparable GPUs, though I'd lean towards the RX 580 for several reasons:

1. AMD FreeSync; though arguably "less optimal" than G-Sync...the chances of your next monitor being FreeSync are higher than nVidia's adaptive refresh tech. This point is mute if you have plans for a G-Sync monitor in your future.

2. More Video Memory; though you'll most likely hit the processing ceiling of the GPU before using the extent of the 8GB VRAM...I'd still call the RX 580 more "future proof" in this respect

3. [subjective] Greater Gaming Longevity; despite being an nVidia fanboy, I've been frustrated at their gimicky support of DX in the past (e.g.,Async-Compute), and their inclination to support proprietary standards as a rule of thumb. If all things are equal, supporting AMD is the best decision as a consumer IMO.

Either way, congrats on the upgrade plans! Both great cards!

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I went with the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB Limited Edition
YoXaNpV.jpg