Installing Samsung 960 Pro 1tb SSD. Recommended drivers.

VBChevy

Prominent
May 30, 2017
I am planning to clean install a full version of Win10 Pro x64 along with the samsung 960 Pro 1tb ssd as my boot drive. The main reason is the fact that Win 10 has native drivers for NVMe. This brings up some questions:

1. Are the Samsung drivers recommended over the Windows drivers? Past history suggests you go with the vendors drivers.

2. I have a M.2 NVMe socket 3, Key M on board the motherboard Can you assume that the BIOS supports NVMe boot? I am using a HP stock Pegatron Thimphu Motherboard with a Z170 chipset, Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHZ and I maxed out at 64GB DDR4. It has been a challenge to get the motherboard specs.

I currently run Win 7 Pro. I see issues down the road for firmware support for the SSD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Moderator
1. go with motherboard drivers instead since they match it, and its motherboard that does all the heavy lifting. I wasn't aware samsung had drivers for ssd/nvme apart from maybe firmware updates.
2. shouldn't assume anything with motherboard support but as it has the slot, you probably okay. Whether motherboard has any limits to type or speeds is another question.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Moderator
i would open PC and make sure it has nvme slot before buying one. I don't know the bios but often nvme would be in the onboard peripherals section, maybe under storage

this is your motherboard and it only shows m.2 slots
original

manual seems hard to get: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Documents-of-The-Thimphu-motherboard/td-p/5434578

VBChevy

Prominent
May 30, 2017
The connector has M.2_2_SSD beside it which leads me to believe Gen 2.0 PCIE.

Taken from a post by erick926 in his thread (StorageM.2 SSD PCIE 3.0x4 vs 2.0x4)

1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 (M2_2), supports M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x2 (10 Gb/s)

Link for good pic of my motherboard with Zoom https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/IPM17-TP-rev-1-04-motherboard-for-HP-Envy-860-090nz-DDR4/32678635633.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000017.2.1B7NhK#

Looks like I will need to replace this motherboard or return the 960 Pro SSD to Amazon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Moderator
Probably cheaper to return nvme, as otherwise you have to make sure the new motherboard fits into the case you have now or buy a new one to fit it...

I can only attach M.2 myself I think but I have yet to look too hard as m.2 isn't any faster than ssd (I think) and I have plenty of sata connections left

VBChevy

Prominent
May 30, 2017

VBChevy

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Here is a link that may interest you:
https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/NVMe-vs-SSD-vs-HDD.png

As I type I am filling out the return to Amazon for the NVMe. Lucky they are good about it. The new microATX board would have fit, Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, but I did not feel like pulling out my processor etc...from my current board.

I think I will begin a new build and take my time about it. Thanks for you focusing me on that M.2 slot.

I see your a Win10 expert :). I am going to start a new thread maybe you can help me with. Do not want to go off topic.

VBChevy

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Last piece of hardware I buy from HP. Emailed the board manufacturer:

Thank you for your timely response Mr. Wang. I understand. Last piece of hardware I buy from HP. I will go to Asus, your old parent company, and replace this board with one of theirs. At least I can get the manual with that manufacturer.

Best Regards,

Joe