Why Do We Need 450 Watt PSU when it convert the power to 12v and our CPU takes only 1.2v or above for overclocking only?

bharatx1

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
This question always comes in my mind the PSU always convert the power to 12v than what's the point of 450 or 750 watt PSU.

Can anyone know the reason behind it?

Solution
P = U * I
Ie... power[watts] = voltage[volts] * current[ampers]...
Lower the voltage to half, increase the current twice and you'll have same power.

Point is, CPU takes "1.2V", but at "100Amps"... which makes it take 120W (example)
Then, RAM comes, motherboard components, network card, disks/ssd and finally graphic card... which, in high perf forms can take up to 250W.
Also, bear in mind that PSU rating is usually it's overall max performance, while the sweet spot efficiency wise is about 40-60% load... so your 450W PSU will give you it's best at about 225W load.
Also, PSU doesn't convert only to 12V (it's only for the yellow cables), it also converts to 5V, 3.3V and -5V, for different purposes of different devices. Components like CPU and GPU...

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
P = U * I
Ie... power[watts] = voltage[volts] * current[ampers]...
Lower the voltage to half, increase the current twice and you'll have same power.

Point is, CPU takes "1.2V", but at "100Amps"... which makes it take 120W (example)
Then, RAM comes, motherboard components, network card, disks/ssd and finally graphic card... which, in high perf forms can take up to 250W.
Also, bear in mind that PSU rating is usually it's overall max performance, while the sweet spot efficiency wise is about 40-60% load... so your 450W PSU will give you it's best at about 225W load.
Also, PSU doesn't convert only to 12V (it's only for the yellow cables), it also converts to 5V, 3.3V and -5V, for different purposes of different devices. Components like CPU and GPU have their own power management that coverts to their required voltages (which varies over time depending on mode).

Solution

bharatx1

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Fast Quick and easy to understand :) thanks buddy