i5 7500 vs i7 7700, which one to buy for Gaming and Recording gameplays?

dexergo1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
I have decided to upgrade my PC, my current processor is i3 3220. It handles gaming just fine(maybe not much fine) but while recording gameplay or online gaming, it hits 100% cpu usage and causes FPS drops. It probably happens because it only has 2 cores so I have decided to upgrade to latest i5 7500 or i7 7700 to get more cores(i5 7500 is preferred due to low budget). My question is that will 4 cores be enough for gaming and recording as well as editing videos? Which processor will be more future proof? Can I also stream my gameplay on i5 7500? Or FPS drops while recording may also be caused due to recording on hard disk and not ssd?

Please help!

Solution
Yes, that setup will be perfectly fine for 1080p 60fps gaming and recording, on modern games you may struggle with higher resolutions though of course, in order to overcome this your next upgrade should be a graphics card.

You're current hdd's will be fine, and no you won't need to format them, not unless you plan on changing the way you're using them.

yeeeeman

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Wait for the 7920XE 18 cores and 36 threads for 2000$. That will satisfy you for sure :p
Now, on a serious note, I wouldn't choose either of those. i5 7500 is already obsolete with only 4 physical cores and 7700 is too expensive for what it offers. I would go the AMD Ryzen route and get a B350 motherboard, an R7 1700, push 4Ghz on it and forget about needing a new PC for the next few years. Or....you can stay with Intel and change your PC again in quite a short time. Your money, your choice!

Sep 10, 2013
You mean you want to upgrade your CPU only?
Then you can only upgrade to Ivy bridge CPU's. (e.g. i7 -3770)
i5 7500 and i7 7700 are out of the question without upgrading your motherboard too.
If you upgrade your mobo you need to upgrade your ram as well ...
And in that case you might as well go AMD.
AMD's Ryzen lineup offers some great value CPUs for recording and editing at the cost of (a little) gaming performance.
But like i said, that would mean upgrading your mobo and RAM.

Some more info: the sacrifice in gaming performance can be offset by getting high frequency ram which Ryzen really likes for games, bringing it on par with intel;
However RAM went up in price recently and high frequency RAM isn't cheap, eating into the cost advantage of Ryzen somewhat.

If you want to upgrade your CPU only: what are the specs of your PC?

EDIT: As far as future proofing goes, more cores is the way to go.
The question more cores vs. better single core performance has been up in the air somewhat, but now intel is adding more cores to their mainstream-enthusiast lineup as well, reaffirming to both developers and end users that more cores is the future.

hahapingazzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
If you're mind is set on these two choices and you don't want to go the ryzen route or wait until coffee lake launches, then I would definitely suggest getting he i7 as it has double the threads the i5 has and would be a far better choice for recording.

The i5 may struggle to both record and play, I'm unsure about this but I personally wouldn't risk it, the i5 isn't anywhere near as future proof either.

Like the others have stated ryzen is a great choice for content creation but in game performance is slightly less then that of an intel i7, however the difference in game is probably just a few frames.

It all depends on what your personal preference is, I would however suggest you don't get the i5, for content creation I wouldn't suggest getting anything less then a quad core with hyper threading.

And no, in most cases recording to a hdd wouldn't make a difference if it's a 7200rpm drive, to remove all possible risk of this you could either get an ssd, or have 2 seperate hdds, one for your games, and one to record to.

dexergo1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Reading all your answers, I think I should go for AMD Ryzen 5 1600 with MSI B350M Gaming Pro motherboard and 1x8gb 2133mhz ram(for now) just to stay in budget limit. Will this setup be enough for gaming, recording and maybe streaming? I have a GTX 970 btw. And will my current HDDs work fine with the new mobo though I would need to format and partition them again, right?

hahapingazzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
Yes, that setup will be perfectly fine for 1080p 60fps gaming and recording, on modern games you may struggle with higher resolutions though of course, in order to overcome this your next upgrade should be a graphics card.

You're current hdd's will be fine, and no you won't need to format them, not unless you plan on changing the way you're using them.

Solution

dexergo1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Okay, another question that I have is that if I buy an M.2 2280 Samsung Evo 250GB SSD, will I be able to copy my current C drive and OS from my HDD to the SSD using the Samsung software?

Also, should I go for the M.2 SSD or the SATA3 SSD? Because for some reason the M.2 is a bit cheaper in my country. Also, what's the difference between an M.2 and M.2 nvme?

m2 works still using the sata interface but uses 2 sata slots to maximise bandwidth - when you plug in an m2 drive you will lose the ability to use 2 of the 6 physical sata slots on the motherboard - meaning only 4 left useable
m2 nvme uses pci express lanes & are substantially faster ( but more expensive) & dont use any sata slots.

I would use an m2 because
1.its a lot neater - no cables
2.theyre normally 10% faster than comparable standard sata drives

As long as youre happy with only having 4 sata ports left for other drives.

You should go for faster ram than 2133 ,2666mhz minimum for ryzen is advisable.

Sep 10, 2013
Definitely do not got the SATA3 SSD; SSD's don't reach their full potential through the SATA interface.
NVMe is the latest and greatest interface for SSD's; NVMe SSD's feel snappier because of low access times.

You can try booting from your old C: in your new PC (with your new drive also attached); With a little luck, everything will work.
You can then install and use the Samsung Migration Software to clone your C: to your new drive.
It's free but only works when there's samsung drives involved.
Then simply change the boot priority in your Bios to your new drive and you should be settled.
Unplug your old drive and try booting to make sure you are not still booting from it before formatting anything, though.

dexergo1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
I think that I could use the m.2 while sacrificing 2 sata ports, but does the MSI B350m Gaming Pro motherboard support the NVMe SSD? Also, the specifications for the mobo say that it only supports 2666mhz ram as OC so I don't think I can use a stock 2666mhz ram with the B350m Gaming Pro.

Well actually u can, it's just won't count the excess memory

Supports 2666 mhz ram natively (not sure where youve read otherwise) & nvme ssd boot drives.
I still would not dismiss a standard sta based m2 drive ,theyre still fast enough imo.
I would base the decision on a nvme drive purely on price range,$20 more than a sata based drive fine ,more than that I personally dont think its worth the outlay when youre on a tight budget

dexergo1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
From what I have decided to go for reading and researching for this, my new rig would be

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: MSI B350m Gaming Pro
GPU: Zotac GTX 970(current GPU, no change)
RAM: ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 1x8GB 2400mhz
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB m.2 sata SSD with my two current HDDs and my current HP CD-DVD drive
PSU: Corsair VS550 (current PSU, will I need to change it?)

Is this good enough? There would be enough SATA and M.2 ports for this, right?

dexergo1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Sorry for bothering you guys again but I wanna know whether the fans on the side of my Zebronics Fantasy case are intake or exhaust. One is 120mm and other is 80mm, the one on the front is intake but I don't know about the sides. Does someone know?