$450-$500 White/Blue Themed Gaming Build

JaysonJacob

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014
Hello!

I was wondering if it was possible to do a white and blue themed gaming build for around $450, if not $500 at max (Closer to $450 the better haha). This is of course not including OS, Monitors, etc; the budget is solely for the PC.

A few notes:

1. I do not plan to overclock
2. A case with a window would be nice so that I can see the themed build
3. I do not plan on running anything on 4k/Ultra Settings.
4. Would it be possible to have an RGB Strip and or LED Fans at this price range?

I usually play games at 1080p Medium-High settings depending on the game.

Thanks in advanced!

Solution
There is no point putting a SSD at that price point. Get one down the line though as it really improves performance in booting and load times.
The stock cooler that comes with the cpu is good enough. That cooler is not required.
More powerful cpu/gpu. Ryzen shines with higher RAM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($185.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video...
Best value for money with high performance along with color theme retained...

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card ($133.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $440.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-02 01:02 EDT-0400

I was able to keep it just under $500, but you'll probably have to pay more than that after shipping. But here it is:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x9hFnn

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400
Cooler: Arctic Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2 (selected this only for the white color - the stock cooler is probably better than this)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Mortar Arctic
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR4-2400
Storage: WD Blue 1 TB WD10EZEX 3.5"
Video Card: Asus Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Dual
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 White
Power Supply: Corsair CX430 80+ Bronze

This build will run all current games at 1080p at medium-high details or better at 60 FPS. I would recommend upgrading the CPU ASAP, since 2 cores 2 threads is nowhere close to modern system requirements, and pretty soon you won't be able to play games even at 60 FPS. Just get an i5 as soon as you can, and don't forget to update the BIOS if you will be buying a 7th gen CPU later. Without the BIOS update, it won't recognize a 7th gen chip.

Really though, I won't recommend building this. Yes, it'll look all pretty, but it's performance won't be as good as its looks. Either increase your budget a little so you can get good parts, or downgrade to a 1050, and then get better parts.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Oh right mb, misread it the other way around. :p
This is the best value for money.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($75.33 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card ($179.99 @ B&H)
Case: Zalman - Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $489.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-02 02:39 EDT-0400

I would rather go for an Intel build for gaming for its faster performance than a Ryzen 1400 build. Besides, the above list you have posted has got some very poor part selection. I would rather get this...

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman - ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $493.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-02 17:38 EDT-0400

@Hellfire, that's an awful value build.
The board is bottom end, the CPU is outdated, the case is poor quality for the price range, and the color theme isn't there at all. Much better can be had for the same price. Look towards Ryzen 5.
@OP, a G4560 build is hands down the way to go, no point going Ryzen if it's going to impact your other parts so heavily, and you're only going to have an A320 board. Get the list I posted above. Follows your color scheme and performs far better.

@Chugalug...Thats an awful suggestion. You are a Grandmaster. Do not misguide the OP for just one vote/point.
The CPU is still used with current gen boards, so its not outdated and double the power of g4560. It is also a quadcore unlike the g4560 which is still a dualcore and 24% faster... http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3892vs3513
I should have actually shared this build earlier. THIS IS the much better that you are referring to for the price.
The board is bottom because it isnt as popular anymore due to kabylake boards but its still a very good baord as i have build on that board.

I kinda agree with Hellfire here(that just sounds weirdly cool). The i5-6500 is a good value CPU, tbh. I don't know about the board, though it seems to have good reviews. But again, Hellfire's build does give up the color scheme, but it's not like Jayson's awful value build has the color scheme either. I really think you'll have to drop the color scheme for that budget - performance is more important, at least in most cases. If you want to stick to the color scheme, then either you'll have to increase your budget, or give up performance. Honestly, the i5 won't really fit in this budget. An i3 -6100 sounds more appropriate, or maybe a Ryzen 3 once it's launched. A Ryzen 3 would be a good option here. Can you wait that long? It'll be...around 3 months, I think? Not sure.

You've gotta be kidding, this isn't about 'points', lol.
@Shektron, the G4560 performs IDENTICALLY to an i3 6100 and allows for much higher GPU performance within the price range which is why i'm recommending it, you can get much more GPU performance that way: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3646vs3649
The i5 6500 is outdated, extremely poor value and is only there so he can cut on motherboard costs and get a low end board with a poor quality sound chip. A Ryzen chip would be a better pick if going for upgradability, something like a 1500X or 1400.
Trying to turn an alternative opinion with legitimate concerns and issues against your opinion into a personal attack is just disgraceful, seriously.
If you're going for a better CPU and a GPU upgrade later, this is a better list that'll last you longer.

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Video Card ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman - Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $513.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-03 02:15 EDT-0400

Legitimate??? :ange: :no:

First you say...
@OP, a G4560 build is hands down the way to go, no point going Ryzen if it's going to impact your other parts so heavily, and you're only going to have an A320 board.

Then you say...
A Ryzen chip would be a better pick if going for upgradability, something like a 1500X or 1400.

You are promoting an i3-6100 of same generation over an i5-6500 of the same generation as outdated
@Hellfire, that's an awful value build.
in such disrespectful way, just to promote your build, and then you accuse me of disrespect and personal attack???

I think we already had this conversation in previous threads and agreed to cooperate respectfully.

On a more serious note, i5 6500 is the perfect fit here... http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6500-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3513vs3511

Honestly, I'm not here to fight over the better build that each of us makes - I'm just here to help the person who needs the help. If you think Ryzen is the way to go for that budget, it is your opinion, and I am not attacking you personally for it. If you think it should be Ryzen, then you are entitled to that opinion.

My opinion is that for a $500 build, that too one which requires a white scheme, a lower end CPU would be better suited, simply to be able to keep the build under budget as well as get the required color scheme.

So, Jayson, it is your choice now - G4560, i3 6100, i5 6500, or Ryzen. I'm quickly listing pros of all of them below:
1. G4560 - awesome value, allows the build to be quite pretty, recent, upgradeable.
2. i3 6100 - performs similar to G4560(somewhat), costs more, motherboard for this will be less expensive than that for G4560, a little upgradeable.
3. i5 6500 - enough for current games, was recommended for budget gaming builds until Ryzen came along, a little upgradeable (Chugalug disagrees with going for this).
4. Ryzen 5(both CPUs) - very recent, awesome value, but your build will no longer look pretty, except for a few parts. Quite upgradeable, also has good future-proofing.

Take your pick of processor, motherboard, and graphics card, I think we all seem to agree somewhat on the other components.

Hope this resolves the little battle here. Cheers!

JaysonJacob

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014
@everyone Thank you all for your replies! It's much appreciated.

I came across some good news that will also be music to all of your ears. A friend of mine told me that he would pay for the processor for my build, as a graduation present (Something in the $160 Range). This means that I still have a $450-$500 budget for for everything else NOT including the processor. As far as the color scheme, just toss that out the window Lol..... I realize that it's not really all that big a deal at this price point. The only thing that I ask is that I would like to have the NZXT - S340 (White) case: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Vpdqqs/nzxt-case-cas340ww1

I assume this means that I can go with something like a Ryzen 5 or i5

Here is the build that my friend sent me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cgCtYr
I don't necessary agree with the addition of an SSD. I definitely prefer the cheaper 1TB HDD. Also is the Cooler Master CPU cooler necessary? Wouldn't the stock be sufficient?

Feel free to tweak to build and or come up with a totally different build. Do stay under $500 though haha, because I do not have a set up at all right now. So I have to get a monitor, keyboard etc.

Thanks again! Cheers

JaysonJacob

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014

Thanks a bunch for summarizing haha; that really helped me get caught up. I posted an update of the situation.

There is no point putting a SSD at that price point. Get one down the line though as it really improves performance in booting and load times.
The stock cooler that comes with the cpu is good enough. That cooler is not required.
More powerful cpu/gpu. Ryzen shines with higher RAM.

Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($204.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $668.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-03 13:27 EDT-0400

Solution

JaysonJacob

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014

Is there that much of a difference between the Ryzen 5 1400 and the Ryzen 5 1500X? Also why is it that you went with an RX580 instead of a GTX 1050 TI? (Asking cause I don't know lol..)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BtW6Z8

If you can push your friend a little bit, and get him to buy a Ryzen 5 1600, that'd be great. But if you can't the 1400 is good too. The 1600 offers more future-proofing, due to higher core count.
Do check the build I recommended - just changed a few things from the basic build you gave. You don't need a separate cooler for the 1400 - it comes with one that will be enough.
As HellFire said, the RX 580 is much more powerful than the 1050 Ti - it's a little better than the 1060 6 GB card. However, these cards are out of stock everywhere right now, so you might have to wait for them to come back in stock. But if you can get your hands on one, get it ASAP. It's awesome for the price.

The 1500X has a higher core clock, and overclocks better. This might or might not be beneficial for you, depends on what refresh rate your monitor is. If it's 60 Hz, the difference between the two wouldn't matter as much, but if it's above the 100 Hz range, then the higher clock speed will prevent CPU bottlenecking.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

JaysonJacob

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014

The monitor I'm getting is this one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLZ047Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I34H147LTJRNB0&colid=302H8BU9ESHHM

I'm pretty sure it's refresh rate is less than a 100Hz. So does that mean it's not worth getting the 1500X over the 1400? I think the 1600 costs a bit too much, so that's not possible. I don't wanna try to milk my friend who was kind enough to offer xD.

That monitor is 1080p 60 Hz. I can't say for sure, but the maximum chances are that the 1500X will make only a little difference here. Higher clock speed usually only helps in running at high refresh rate, while more cores often improves the overall smoothness, i.e., the minimums are better. At 60 Hz, the 1400 will do slightly worse of a job as the 1500X, or at least that's what I think.

I understand, I kinda knew that the 'push your friend' request was weird, don't know what I was thinking. But no matter, the 1400 and 1500X are also quite capable chips :).

So, though the difference is minor, I'd actually recommend the 1500X, despite of what I said in my previous answer. The 1500X also comes with a better cooler, so you might be able to overclock it a little further, while the 1400 comes with a cooler that doesn't allow for much overclocking. So get the 1500X, it'll serve you better even at 60 Hz.

You have to understand the main point for suggesting the 1500x over here. If the 1400 can game for the next 3-4yrs smoothly, the 1500x will definitely give you an additional year or two in terms of spec compatibility and capability. Beside its cooler and clock speed, the 1500x is plain and simple a stronger chip. And if just an extra $25-$30 odd can give me a couple of years more to game, I would definitely grab it pleasantly.

I actually did know this, but after having done so many budget build I had started thinking the 1500X isn't worth it. During launch of Ryzen 5, I had actually seen many videos that suggested the 1500X is a better value. But that feels like a long time ago, and I guess this question brought me back on the track. So I guess that's two people benefiting from this question :D