FX-9590 build powers up for 4-5 seconds then dies

MG Davis

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
AMD FX-9590
MSI 990FX-Gaming (on the compatible list for the 9590)
GTX 1050 Ti
Corsair H80i
Apevia ATX-650 PSU

Put it all together, fired her up and got no display, power only for a few seconds then it dies.

I pulled all the components and tried with just the mobo/processor and one stick of ram, same thing on the bench, seconds of power, then nothing.

AMD recommends a 1000W unit, which is absolute hogwash, unless you're overclocking and running dual SLI cards, while starting your car with it. I mean, on the bench with just the mobo and processor, it's not even pulling 250W.

Halp!

Solution
That Apevia ATX-650W PSU is not a unit I would run with the FX-9590 CPU.
The FX-9590 is a power hungry beast with a 220W TDP and requires a decent quality Gold rated PSU of MIN 850W.
Also the H80 has insufficient cooling capability for anything above stock frequency 4.7GHz and requires an AIO of H110 MIN.
Although the MSI 990FX-Gaming MB has been rated as compatible it does not fully support the FX-9590 as the VRMs get hot and would shut your MB down under load. Also the Bios does not really have good voltage control to manage any form of OC.

My recommendation is to select an FX CPU with 125W TDP as you will continue to have issues with the Beast.
That Apevia ATX-650W PSU is not a unit I would run with the FX-9590 CPU.
The FX-9590 is a power hungry beast with a 220W TDP and requires a decent quality Gold rated PSU of MIN 850W.
Also the H80 has insufficient cooling capability for anything above stock frequency 4.7GHz and requires an AIO of H110 MIN.
Although the MSI 990FX-Gaming MB has been rated as compatible it does not fully support the FX-9590 as the VRMs get hot and would shut your MB down under load. Also the Bios does not really have good voltage control to manage any form of OC.

My recommendation is to select an FX CPU with 125W TDP as you will continue to have issues with the Beast.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS