Will my i5 7400 bottleneck my future GTX 1070?

GTX10702017

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Okay so I have a computer with an i5 7400, 16GB DDR4 2400mhz and was wondering if my i5 7400 will bottleneck at all or will I experience studdering in a game like BF1?

Keep in mind my i5 7400 can turbo to 3.5 GHZ.

Also the overheating problem with the i7s scares me a bit but with a non K chip that would be 0 worry as I only have a B250M motherboard anyway?

Should I upgrade in a year or so or upgrade now I'm really looking forward to Battlefront 2(4) and the one day Battlefield 5 which I'm sure will be a CPU hog just like Battlefield 1...

Solution
To my knowledge, there is no overheating problem with i7's. Intel rates them to safely run up to 100c, and virtually all non-K i7's will stay well away from that under any load, even using Intel's dinky stock cooler. The problem is with people's perceptions of what temperatures are safe - many believe they know better than Intel's engineers.

An i5 7400 may cause reduced framerates in some cases in BF1, depending on what you're aiming for. You should have averages above 60fps, but may have dips into the 50's or even (rarely) into the upper 40's with that CPU. Overall gameplay should be pretty smooth. If you're running a 120 or 144hz screen, you'll find the i5 completely inadequate for delivering those framerates. Future games which are...
To my knowledge, there is no overheating problem with i7's. Intel rates them to safely run up to 100c, and virtually all non-K i7's will stay well away from that under any load, even using Intel's dinky stock cooler. The problem is with people's perceptions of what temperatures are safe - many believe they know better than Intel's engineers.

An i5 7400 may cause reduced framerates in some cases in BF1, depending on what you're aiming for. You should have averages above 60fps, but may have dips into the 50's or even (rarely) into the upper 40's with that CPU. Overall gameplay should be pretty smooth. If you're running a 120 or 144hz screen, you'll find the i5 completely inadequate for delivering those framerates. Future games which are more CPU-intensive will probably have lower averages and lower dips.

My opinion, a Ryzen 6-core is probably a more cost effective CPU, and EA's games will generally take advantage of the extra threads. An i7 would be better still, but also more expensive.

Reactions: Richard999
Solution
How long will your 7400 last? Impossible to say, generally that would already be limiting performance if going for high fps >100 in modern AAA games. For 60Hz/fps your 7400 does a very good job, its down to you when it starts not meeting your needs, everyone has a different tolerance of what is ok.

Also there is no heat problem with the i7, even the stock cooler works well. Also you can still get the 7700k as it comes with slightly higher stock clock speeds bit you will need to buy a cooler. It most likely not worth the extra cost but sometimes good deals pop up.