Installing SSD in Lenovo T440

sunstar751

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Hi everyone, first time posting.

I have a Lenovo T440 and I have been trying to clone my data from my hdd to a new Samsung V-nand SSD 850 Evo. I also have an external enclosure to house the SSD. It is an INATECK FE2004 USB3.0 2.5" Portable HD Enclosure.

I have tried just about everything. My computer will not recognize the enclosure in my USB drive at all. I know that the USB drive works, because my flash drives work in it. I have seen all the suggestions about checking disk management and updating my drivers to no avail. Rather than inserting the new SSD in the enclosure, I have also tried to replace the HDD with my new SSD in the laptop itself, powering on the system, and launching bios to use the USB drive to load up the computer. When the bios menu comes up, I do see the new SSD under the menu as an option, but that obviously doesn't work since there is nothing on it (but it does confirm that the SSD is not broken as it is recognized by the computer!). However, when I power on the laptop with the original HDD in the enclosure and plugged into my laptop via the USB drive, it does not show up in the bios. I have tried changing my bios settings from UETA to Legacy, turning off safe boot, etc. to no avail, as well. However, I do know that the enclosure is "working" because I can literally hear my HDD turning on and making that electronic "whirling" sound that tells me it's on.

I have no idea what to do now. I've since went back to the original setup and having the SSD in the enclosure and the HDD in the laptop itself. The SSD never shows up on the Samsung Data Migration tool that I've installed. The SSD came with a disk, but my laptop does not have a disk drive so I downloaded it off of the Samsung website.

This is my first time using/upgrading to an SSD. Does this sound like I have a faulty enclosure? It does not have a separate power source. Does the SSD need an enclosure with a second power source? But the SSD is only a 250gb size while my HDD is a 500gb size, and I can hear the HDD doing something when it's in the enclosure. Also, don't worry, I have plenty of room on my new SSD. I have only used 190gb on my HDD and don't plan on gaming on this laptop.

Thank you so much for helping me, in advance!

Solution
Well inateck is a very cheap brand so quite possible you just got a defective enclosure.

An SSD and 2.5" hard drives are fine with just power from USB bus, a 3.5" requires additional power due to having to spin larger heavier disks.

sunstar751

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sunstar751 : "Installing SSD on Lenovo T440"

Hi everyone, first time posting.

I have a Lenovo T440 and I have been trying to clone my data from my hdd to a new Samsung V-nand SSD 850 Evo. I also have an external enclosure to house the SSD. It is an INATECK FE2004 USB3.0 2.5" Portable HD Enclosure.

I have tried just about everything. My computer will not recognize the enclosure in my USB drive at all. I know that the USB drive works, because my flash drives work in it. I have seen all the suggestions about checking disk management and updating my drivers to no avail. Rather than inserting the new SSD in the enclosure, I have also tried to replace the HDD with my new SSD in the laptop itself, powering on the system, and launching bios to use the USB drive to load up the computer. When the bios menu comes up, I do see the new SSD under the menu as an option, but that obviously doesn't work since there is nothing on it (but it does confirm that the SSD is not broken as it is recognized by the computer!). However, when I power on the laptop with the original HDD in the enclosure and plugged into my laptop via the USB drive, it does not show up in the bios. I have tried changing my bios settings from UETA to Legacy, turning off safe boot, etc. to no avail, as well. However, I do know that the enclosure is "working" because I can literally hear my HDD turning on and making that electronic "whirling" sound that tells me it's on.

I have no idea what to do now. I've since went back to the original setup and having the SSD in the enclosure and the HDD in the laptop itself. The SSD never shows up on the Samsung Data Migration tool that I've installed. The SSD came with a disk, but my laptop does not have a disk drive so I downloaded it off of the Samsung website.

This is my first time using/upgrading to an SSD. Does this sound like I have a faulty enclosure? It does not have a separate power source. Does the SSD need an enclosure with a second power source? But the SSD is only a 250gb size while my HDD is a 500gb size, and I can hear the HDD doing something when it's in the enclosure. Also, don't worry, I have plenty of room on my new SSD. I have only used 190gb on my HDD and don't plan on gaming on this laptop.

Thank you so much for helping me, in advance!

sunstar751

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

I do not have a desktop to use, sadly. I will try another enclosure when Best Buy opens. Do you have any suggestions for a better brand, but not too expensive?

StarTech, IcyDock, and Anker are all good, you said the words "Best Buy" so pretty much anything is going to be overpriced.

Frankly I would get a good name brand from best buy, clone the drive, return it and buy a decent enclosure online.
Otherwise I would research amazon/newegg price of what model(s) that they actually have in the store and have the manager price match.

Hi

Once you have sorted out the faulty usb tray

I was reading a faq on duplicating hard drives or hard drives to SSD using Acronis

It said put the new hard disk or SSD in the laptop
The old hard in the usb tray
And boot off a cd or usb with duplicating program to ensure the new hard disk or SSD is bootable

Alternative method
Do you have a windows dvd or usb?

If not use the Lenovo windows recovery disk builder program to make a bootable usb or dvd to do a clean install on SSD
If you updated from Win 7 or 8 to 10
You can use the windows 10 media builder to download latest version of win 10 to a usb stick and re install from that or upgrade earlier recovered windows to win 10

Regards
Mike Barnes

sunstar751

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

Ah ok, thank you very much!