RX 580 8gb IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND

AngeNoir0324

Notable
Apr 28, 2017
Simply put, I can't find a RX 580 8gb (that isn't $100 over price) at all! Can you help me an any way? I was looking at the Gigabyte and the MSI gaming x, but I can only find them on Amazon at over $100 more than other sold out stores. :(

Solution

If you're not interested in Freesync at all, then there's really no reason not to go with a 1060. It's a great card, trades blows with the 580 and is more efficient to boot.

They trade blows, they're very similar performance wise.

Here's a large, modern game round up that has them neck and neck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6st6QZTDxE

If you're offloading your streaming then there's very little impact on your FPS. Though from what I've seen Nvidia's hardware encoder is better than AMD's. Though quicksync is similar to Nvidia and software encoding, if you have a powerful enough CPU, is significantly superior to any of the above.

Well, as I say, you're getting roughly the same value with either card. Are you happy to spend more money to get higher detail settings and frame rates? If so the 1070 is a great pick. But the 6GB 1060 is still a super capable card, particularly for 1080P gaming, and is a bunch cheaper. I can't really recommend one card over the other... it depends on your priorities.

You don't lose a lot going with a 480 if you can still find some in stock.

I have to say, at the mid-range of the market I do personally find the option of Freesync monitors hugely compelling. Once you start looking at high end Nvidia cards and $500-600 monitors, the GSync tax isn't really an issue, and it is a great user-experience. But buying a GSync display to pair with a ~$240 GTX 1060 is really painful given that monitors start at $350 for a relatively run-of-the-mill TN 1080P @144hz panel.

If you are intending to monitor shop soon, and don't have the budget for $400+ displays, then you might consider sticking with AMD even if the pure GPU purchase isn't quite the value.

Just bear in mind that the "Freesync" label on its own is pretty meaningless as there are loads of cheap displays with tiny 48-75hz freesync ranges, which are kinda useless. But if you find with a 40-144hz range or similar, then Freesync is worthwhile and pretty close to the GSync experience for quite a bit less.

If you're not interested in Freesync at all, then there's really no reason not to go with a 1060. It's a great card, trades blows with the 580 and is more efficient to boot.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If he's using ShadowPlay to record when gaming, I'd suggest the 1070,even for general 1080p/60Hz monitors, the gpu is going to take a performance hit, and if it's a really intense AAA game being recorded, it'll take a larger hit than normal. Maybe enough to make the actual game play somewhat lackluster. If op's cpu is relatively strong, i7 or top line i5, I'd suggest using Fraps or Bandicam instead as that'll share the load between the gpu and cpu, if using the 1060.

Do you have benchmarks to back up the FPS loss to ShadowPlay/NVENC (hardware encording)? Last I looked into it everyone was saying that the hit is really only 1-3 fps at most. Obviously software encoding with the CPU, which has the highest quality, can have a much bigger impact depending on the system and game. But I thought that was not the case with any of the hardware options (quicksync, shadowplay, NVENC, etc).

I'd just like some evidence to back that up because if your statement above is right, then I'm wrong, and I've been giving people bad advice. Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2710-amd-relive-vs-nvidia-shadowplay-benchmarks

its hard to get a benchmark to say anything particularly is wrong or right, a lot depends on the user. At 1080p, even 1060/6 can have a hard time, depending on exactly what game is used, and the level of details etc. I have a gtx970, and on my hardest hitting game (MGS:V) at ultra settings with 4k DSR, my gpu (asus strix 970 with 24% user OC) is seeing 99% usage (i7-3770k at 56%). And that's an older game. Even with the newer games and the stronger 1060, its possible to hit 99% usage there too, and then trying to record with pure gpu hardware accelerated encoding, something will have to give.

Yeah, FRAPS was a bad decision on my part. Yes, software encoding using the cpu can have a bigger possible impact. There's a lot of different variables and i'll bet in 99% of the situations, you'd be perfectly correct that ShadowPlay would be the best idea for lowest performance hit, but that's mainly due to the extra overhead most users see with the more powerful gpus. With a 1070 on 1080p , its doubtful there'd be any measurable impact at all, but in my case, recording MGS:V, I'd probably be better off taking some of the load on the cpu and off the gpu as my cpu is more capable than the gpu in that situation.

I went and did some reading and research, including that article you linked, and I'm pretty sure it's fair to say that even with mid-range GPUs NVENC/Shadowplay has a pretty small impact. The encoding hardware on the cards is separate from the game-related GPU features, so unless there's some major issues with the system (which wouldn't be improved by getting a better GPU anyway), 1060 vs 1070 for hardware streaming is basically a wash. Obviously the 1070 is the better card - no question about that - but it's not like it's inherently better for streaming. If 1060 performance is all OP needs, then I don't think the streaming requirement shifts the recommendation.

Just FYI for OP and anyone else interested, here's an interesting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU
I know LTT is hardly the height of quality tech-journalism, but that's one of the very few sources I've found that have actually looked in detail at the quality differences between hardware encoding and software (CPU) based streaming. There is actually quite a big difference, and when Twitch (or whatever site you use) re-encodes your stream again it can compound quality issues further. It's quite an interesting video I think for anyone considering streaming.

Yeah - solid choice. I think it'll serve you well.

I just saw someone link this on another thread: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3199257/components-graphics/why-amds-radeon-graphics-cards-are-almost-impossible-to-buy-right-now.html
If that article is right then there's a new mining craze going on, and RX 570/580s are great little mining cards, which is why they're out of stock everywhere.