two 970 (4GB) on 2.0 Mobo with x16 and x4

Michael_679

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
I want to run 5-monitors to play an mmo which i have several accounts as you can imagine since I want 5 monitors.

My question is, can I run two 970 (4gb each), one in a x16 and the other in x4 (2.0 mobo) without any problem?

The game is Eve Online.

Solution
yes you can do that that way, I changed my cards from SLI to non SLI (tested it for you and was curious) in that fashion

PS: the PCIE link speed of the x4 will max out at 5.0 GT/S instead of the 8.0 GT/S why this matters?... when gaming, so use your best monitors on the one (video card) inserted into the x16 slot.

PPS: You can use the cards in SLI using the x4 slot as well, only thing the second card is only used for PhysX abilities (yes I tested that as well)

Michael_679

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
To clarify the scenario, I currently have a 970 (4GB) already in the x16 pcie slot. So, the second one I have is the same, a 970 (4GB) and even the same manufacturer, so do I have to bother with the drivers or can I just install the second GPU into the x4 pcie slot so I can run my 5-monitors?

Michael_679

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
I believe you are correct, however, i think when using sli, i can only use the optical outputs of 1 of the cards, so I believe for my purpsoes, using 5 monitors, i would run the cards out of sli and therefore I should be able to use my second gpu in x4. Does that make sense?

yes you can do that that way, I changed my cards from SLI to non SLI (tested it for you and was curious) in that fashion

PS: the PCIE link speed of the x4 will max out at 5.0 GT/S instead of the 8.0 GT/S why this matters?... when gaming, so use your best monitors on the one (video card) inserted into the x16 slot.

PPS: You can use the cards in SLI using the x4 slot as well, only thing the second card is only used for PhysX abilities (yes I tested that as well)

Solution

Michael_679

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

Let me ask you this, how many monitors were you able to run in SLI mode? Only 3?