Solved

What's bottlenecking me?

I have a 400Watt PSU, GTX 1060 6Gb, Intel core i7 4790, and 8gb of ddr3 at 1866mhz. If nothing is bottlenecking, what games can I run (modern).
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bottlenecking
  1. No bottleneck at all.
    You can run any title you want really, can't think of anything that'd struggle per se.
  2. Chugalug_ said:
    No bottleneck at all.
    You can run any title you want really, can't think of anything that'd struggle per se.

    That's good, thanks!
  3. The GPU will be the bottlneck in any game I can think of, the 4790 is enough to fully utilize a 1060. That system will run any game you want, if you want me to be more specific list the games you play and the resolution of your display. Also what power supply? 400watts should be enough assuming it isn't the cheapest bottom of the barrel 400watt psu you could find.
  4. Dunlop0078 said:
    The GPU will be the bottlneck in any game I can think of, the 4790 is enough to fully utilize a 1060. That system will run any game you want, if you want me to be more specific list the games you play and the resolution of your display. Also what power supply? 400watts should be enough assuming it isn't the cheapest bottom of the barrel 400watt psu you could find.

    Well, I was planning to play games like GTA V, Rust, The Elder Scrolls V Special Edition, Fallout 4, and csgo. Really wanna go for 1920*1080 @60FPS and still have med-ultra settings, if that is possible.
  5. Best answer
    The GPU isn't a 'bottleneck', it's what it is, it's a 1060, there's nothing of the sort bottlenecking it, and it performs to the best of it's abilities.
    @OP, all of those games will be perfect for you, max 60FPS should be easily achievable in all, maybe not at 16x AA in all though, that can be a bit demanding.
  6. Chugalug_ said:
    The GPU isn't a 'bottleneck', it's what it is, it's a 1060, there's nothing of the sort bottlenecking it, and it performs to the best of it's abilities.
    @OP, all of those games will be perfect for you, max 60FPS should be easily achievable in all, maybe not at 16x AA in all though, that can be a bit demanding.


    Huh? There is always a bottleneck, ideally for a gamer you want that bottleneck to be the gpu. If you are playing a game and the cpu is at 50% usage and the gpu is at 100% usage the gpu is the bottleneck. Its not a bad thing it just is what it is.
  7. The bottleneck is the limitation of a component, nothing is being limited, the system is performing to the best of it's ability.
    By that logic anything that isn't Titan XPs in SLI and a 6950X would be a bottleneck.
    Usage % does not determine bottleneck, that's just the game's utilization. It may not need it to be working at 100% to get the best performance, that's why stuff doesn't just run at 100% all the time.
    The term bottleneck is used too loosely.
  8. Chugalug_ said:
    The bottleneck is the limitation of a component, nothing is being limited, the system is performing to the best of it's ability.
    By that logic anything that isn't Titan XPs in SLI and a 6950X would be a bottleneck.
    Usage % does not determine bottleneck, that's just the game's utilization. It may not need it to be working at 100% to get the best performance, that's why stuff doesn't just run at 100% all the time.
    The term bottleneck is used too loosely.


    A bottleneck is the limiting component in a system and in that system it's the gpu, there is always a bottleneck no matter your specs. Your logic does not make sense to me, you said "The bottleneck is the limitation of a component, nothing is being limited" that is just not true, the gpu is going to be the limiting component at least in gaming. Usage certainly does determine a bottleneck or its at least a way to determine what your bottleneck is, how else would you look for a bottleneck if not for usage? I don't think i'm using bottleneck too loosely, if they had a gt 730 in that rig would you say it was the bottleneck? It would surly be the limiting component. The 1060 is a lot more powerful than a gt 730 but it is still the limiting component in that system so therefore is the bottleneck.

    And all my games run at 100% gpu usage with vsync off if said game has an ucapped framerate. If a game does not use 100% of your gpu it is either poorly optimized and cant take full advantage of your hardware, it has a capped framerate or you have vsync on, or something is bottlencking your gpu. If a game has an uncapped framerate the framerate will rise until something limits it whether that be the cpu or gpu.
  9. k.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Bottleneck Intel i7 Intel