760 running way too slow

HunterW

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
So I've had the 760 in my system for a while, and no problems. But the other day I started up a game and noticed that the frame-rate was awful. The game's optimization was awful so I tried out some other games and the same thing was going on.

I've checked just about everything I know. I've never overclocked the card. I reinstalled drivers several times and even did a fresh install of windows. I monitored the card and at 100% load it doesn't go much above 39c with the fans at around 50%. The clock speed doesn't budge from 324Mhz with 182Mhz memory clock. The power supply is 750w or above (I can check if need be). I don't have a power supply tester, so I tested the 6pin power connector with a voltmeter and they're reading 12v (If this isn't the proper way and there's another way to check please let me know).

So I'm thinking that my card might be going bad, but I haven't seen any artifacts and have no issues with visual bugs or crashes. It runs fine, it just runs a lot slower than it should. Or it could just be something simple that I'm missing and that's what I'm hoping.

Solution
The only why to check to see if the motherboard is the bad part is switching out the gpu into a different computer. Has there been any power surges or outages when your computer was running? There also could be an issue if the power supply was a lower quality one, some don't have over volt prevention which could have fried your video card but usually wouldn't even load.

Same issue could have happened on the motherboard, if the power went out/surged with it on, could have fried the pci-e slot.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
With the clock never changing speeds, I would check your power supply first before ruling out the gpu or if you can, pull the card and put it into another system to also rule out the drivers and the power supply for the system.

HunterW

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

If I had another system or power supply I would :/ I can link a picture of voltages to the GPU under load, that's the best I can do. From what I can tell now, it might be my power supply because isn't the stock voltage 1.2v? TDP is also really high but I know jack when it comes to these specifics. Sorry, I'm just doing all I can with what I have.

Voltages and such: http://i.imgur.com/sEEA2F7.png

HunterW

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

I went out and got a new power supply, still at .89 volts and framerate is awful. Is it safe to come to the conclusion that the card is dead or is there any chance the motherboard could be the problem?

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
The only why to check to see if the motherboard is the bad part is switching out the gpu into a different computer. Has there been any power surges or outages when your computer was running? There also could be an issue if the power supply was a lower quality one, some don't have over volt prevention which could have fried your video card but usually wouldn't even load.

Same issue could have happened on the motherboard, if the power went out/surged with it on, could have fried the pci-e slot.

Solution