R9 290 burned out - wanting advice from someone who understands GPU electronics

chowderfish

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
So, two nights ago whilst playing an extended session of Elder Scrolls Online, I heard a distinctive pop and simultaneously my computer screens went black - and within seconds I could smell burnt rubber/plastic from my PC. I promptly switched my Belkin (surge protected) power brick off, and after giving everything ~5 minutes to cool somewhat I opened my PC up to investigate, and quickly found the source of smell to be the GPU.

Fast forward somewhat, with the GPU out of the PC everything has been functioning normally since, so I am quite confident that any damage was restricted just to the GPU pcb, but I have a few questions for someone who has a more technical understanding of the electronics here.

The GPU in question is an ASUS Direct CU2 R9-290. Here you can see the damage on the card:
4jKDYv9.jpg
(The card is out of warranty, for those concerned with my disassembly)

Edit: Use the heat-pad burn marks as a reference to spot the two burns on what I believe are diodes or resistors

My question is: do I need to be concerned about my PSU? Or rather, does the nature of this failure suggest that the PSU misbehaved and surged the GPU? The burn occurred within the power delivery circuits, however I would have expected to see more damage between this point and the PCI power inputs if a surge came from the PSU. I'm hoping someone can give me a more assured verdict as to what likely occurred here.

My PSU is a Corsair RM1000W (~3yrs old). I plan to be upgrading to a GTX1080 when possible, I'm hoping I don't need to budget a new PSU into that equation...

Any help any of you can give would be greatly appreciated! I'm new here but have read many forum posts here when troubleshooting various issues :D

Solution
The voltage regulator appears to have failed possibly due to a bad capacitor. There's most likely no need to replace your psu. If the psu was bad then the damage could have been a lot more extensive. That means your motherboard and CPU could have been damaged as well.
The voltage regulator appears to have failed possibly due to a bad capacitor. There's most likely no need to replace your psu. If the psu was bad then the damage could have been a lot more extensive. That means your motherboard and CPU could have been damaged as well.

Solution