Which is the best gt 1030 for overclocking?

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hi There,

I'm going to be building a very budget PC for a friend. I'm looking to get a gt 1030 gpu. I'm just wondering which manufacture makes the nest gt 1030 for overclocking, because their are a lot of passively cooled cards and they will not be able to keep a overclocked card cool.

Solution
Another consideration is that overclocking is not a magic fix for low performance. Even if the card overclocked well, you're not going to have anything more than a slightly faster 1030. If your friend needs faster than 1030 performance, then your friend needs to buy a better card.
I would not consider any GT 1030 to be good for overclocking as that's not what they're made for. The best overclocking cards are able to use more power. The GT 1030 has a locked voltage and no extra power connectors. So get the one that has the highest factory overclock like the EVGA GT 1030 SC (Superclocked) and don't worry about overclocking it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487347

Another consideration is that overclocking is not a magic fix for low performance. Even if the card overclocked well, you're not going to have anything more than a slightly faster 1030. If your friend needs faster than 1030 performance, then your friend needs to buy a better card.

Solution

Sliver-X

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
I recently replaced the GT 730 in my ITX media PC with a Gigabyte GT 1030:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125972

I've been running the GPU at 1412MHz (+185) and the VRAM at 3404MHz (+400) for almost a week now with zero issues.

The VRAM overclock boosts its bus speed from 48.1GB/s to 54.5GB/s. The GPU overclock also knocks the Boost Clock up to 1653MHz, but it typically sits at 1912MHz(!) when running intensive things like Doom 4.

Temperatures haven't exceeded 63C so far, but despite the small case of my machine it's very well ventilated: Boost clocks will drop as temperature rises but you can adjust the Temperature Target with something like nVidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner to something higher which seems to mitigate that to some degree.

Overall it's translated into single digit to low-teens gains in FPS for more demanding games at 1080p. For Doom 4 and Wolfenstein - The New Order/Old Blood it allows them to run at 720p with virtually everything maxed out for a fairly consistent 60FPs at all times.

I have it paired to an old Core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz with 8GB of DDR3-1333: The OS is an extensively stripped down and modified install of Windows 7 x64 I did with NTLite and tons of manual tweaks. Your mileage may vary based on how much faster/slower the CPU and such you put in the build is along with its OS?

Sliver-X

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

I can run the following at 1080p at max settings and almost never drop below 60FPS:

Alan Wake
Alice - Madness Returns
Bionic Commando
Bioshock Infinite
Black Mesa
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow 2
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow
Dark Souls
Devil May Cry
Fallout - New Vegas
Guilty Gear Xrd - Revelator
Metal Gear Rising - Revengeance
Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit (2010)
Painkiller - Hell and Damnation
Silent Hill - Homecoming
Skyrim - The Elder Scrolls V
South Park - The Stick of Truth
Strider
Trine 2
Trine

I can run the following at 720p and almost never drop below 60FPS:

Doom 4
Wolfenstein - The New Order
Wolfenstein - The Old Blood

There are perfectly valid reasons to want a card like the 1030: For me it was having a card small enough to occupy only 1 slot, require no 6 or 8 pin PCI-E cables and be able to run happily with the 230W PSU in my ITX case. It does that quite well, and is nowhere near as bad performance-wise as people in this thread are making it out to be (It's roughly 70% as fast as a GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I know this because that's the card in my desktop I've done comparisons against).

Premises187

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

Yesterday I was playing Max Payne 3 1080p on high and Skyrim RE in high with my low profile GT1030.
Please do not spread false information.

Regarding overclocking
I managed +200 core clock and +300 memory using Afterburner. I didn't bother to go any further.
It pushed my Passmark 3D score up a little.
Stock: 2767
OC: 3050
63°c

Slower than a 750Ti....? Ouch....! Ergo, even slower yet against the 950?

(some games still look great even at 720P, granted.....; I thought BF was awesome looking at 720P (while I waited on my 1060Ti to arrive and played 2-3 weeks with integrated Intel graphics, albeit at too low a framerate....)

patnaikraj1234

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

Completely false ! You know its potential if you own it. You can even check in youtube also. The card is actually great ! This is for them who r in a tight budget. Why everyone doesn't buy Titan XPs ! handles gtav 40+ fps in high , rottr 40+ fps in high.

fatinishmam10

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017

HEY man , I want to pair it ( gigabyte gt 1030) with my i3 3220 and overclock as your clocks. I also have 4+4 gb ddr3 ram . What fps i will get in mafia 3 at low 768p?

gh3

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
I've built a mini-itx pc with custom made case using a pico PSU. The thing is only 21x18.5x9cm (WxDxH) and is using the GT1030 paired with the I3-6100 and 8GB DDR4 2400. Kind of a "console" pc I can take with me wherever I go.

So far I'm very pleased as apparently I've hit the jackpot with my card. It's running on +255 Core and +700 Memory clock at the moment and I've not run into a crash yet. Going to see how far I can push this card. I'm runnnig PUBG at 1680x1050 with AA on high, everything else except for textures (medium) and view distance (high) is set to very low. I increased the screen scale to 105% to help with the bluriness. Worth it imo. Getting 38-44 FPS most of the time, even in weather conditions like fog. Temps hitting 66°C.

Besides PUBG I only tested WoW vanilla so far and it's smooth as silk, even with console commands for maximum details beyond what is possible via menus, at stable 60 FPS.

I will test other games when I found the sweet spot for the card.

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So far, the MSI GeForce GT 1030 2G LP OC seems to be doing OK for me, and at $25 less than the EVGA alternative, although I prefer the latter brand for my big models (1060/1070). One thing in favor of the MSI is their Military grade capacitors, with a lifetime of 12 years Gaming & 40 years Office usage. Looks like I purchased in the nick of time, on Saturday & just installed barely an hour ago, now out of stock & will be priced higher once again available. It was indeed the best available for the price & the reason as to why I chose this card, my Optiplex 780 only takes single slot models, looked at other possibilities, there were none.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137139

Right now, with MSI Afterburner, am running a core OC of +185 & memory of +400, which gave me a decent leap in GPU-Z bandwidth (54.5GB/sec) & running at a nice & cool 33C. Haven't plugged it into my 4K monitor yet, although likely won't be disappointed. That OC will likely be needed to push 4K YouTube videos. Not all GeForce GT 1030's are created equal, some has DVD-I slots, or with a HDMI, which chokes performance, MSI went the distance for the price in having both DP & HDMI with this card.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xC2LslaQAZBYDZheMv6SXq0

Note that I wanted the card more for having 4K viewing over gaming, has both Displayport 1.4, HDMI 2.0b outputs @ 60Hz & HDCP 2.2. No, it's not going to come close to either of my GTX 1060's, let alone the 1070, yet at least will still be able to view web pages at 4K (for that matter is 8K capable). Who would had ever thought a Dell Optiplex 780 (even with Core 2 Quad Q9650) & 4K be mentioned in the same sentence?

So far, am happy, may dabble with a little gaming & see the outcome, yet before I connect to the Samsung 4K, won't stand a chance at running a game decently on any setting.

Glad that I got it while was able, waited two days before pulling the trigger!

Cat

Latest posts