GT 1030 or GTX660 with 450w psu?

Reveals

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I am upgrading my main rig's graphics card (GTX 660). The card still runs most games that I enjoy playing so I plan to reuse it, however:

I've ordered a Corsair CX450M (decent quality/performance for my budget and its one of the few decent ones at a reasonable price in my area. + I didn't want to go for a VS500 or any other budget PSU's) and I have a prebuilt pc from a couple of years ago with an AMD A8-6500 and 4gb of DDR3-1600mhz where I plan to use this in. (maybe not the best hardware but w/e)

I need to know if a 450w psu will be able to power this system for a while. Throwing it into a PSU calculator it says it will only require 320w however since psu's wear out over time (don't know a lot about this topic) I wonder if I shouldn't sell the GTX660 and get a GT1030 (similar performance but lower power consumption?) so I don't run into any psu problems in a few years or if I'll be fine using the GTX660 cause I don't exactly plan to spend any more money on this little project than needed.

PS: Not to be old fashioned or anything but I don't plan on overclocking any of those components.

Solution
Your new CX450M can easily handle any of the GPU's power requirements (as well as your other basic components in your rig). No need to replace the GTX 660 with a GT 1030 just for the purpose of lowering your power draw (which can already be handled by your decent PSU). Note that the GT 1030 is a big significant downgrade (not in power) but in performance (http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/2162vsm283726) compared to your GTX 660.

In short, keep the GPU - you'll be fine.
Your new CX450M can easily handle any of the GPU's power requirements (as well as your other basic components in your rig). No need to replace the GTX 660 with a GT 1030 just for the purpose of lowering your power draw (which can already be handled by your decent PSU). Note that the GT 1030 is a big significant downgrade (not in power) but in performance (http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/2162vsm283726) compared to your GTX 660.

In short, keep the GPU - you'll be fine.

Solution

Reveals

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

Thanks for the very fast reply, very nice to hear exactly what I was hoping for :)

Also I had no idea my little card was anywhere near not to say better (performance wise) than the far newer GT1030 aha.

Cheers mate.