Will my RX 460 work with a PCI Express 2.0 slot

MamedovA

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
Hey everybody,I want to buy the RX 460,without additional power supply, is it compatible with PCI-E Express 2.0 ? Just i have read somewhere that there can be problems with backward compatibility.
Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M LE
Power supply: Chieftec APS-500S

Solution
Short answer: Yes.

The PCIe calls for backwards compatibility from either direction: slot or card. This is even true of the upcoming PCIe4 and PCIe5 standards. So that means I could even use a PCIe 1 card in tomorrow's PCIe standard slot. or take a card that is compliant with tomorrow's specification and get it to work in a first gen PCIe slot.

Due to speed differences though, you may or may not see a perceivable speed difference, depending on how old or new, and how much bandwidth the card uses. (if it maxes PCIe 2.0 and is placed in a PCIe 3.0, you'll not see a difference, but a PCIe 3.0 compliant card that uses max bandwidth of the PCIe 3 standard, will probably see a difference.)

EDIT: Just a FYI here, save up some money and get...
Short answer: Yes.

The PCIe calls for backwards compatibility from either direction: slot or card. This is even true of the upcoming PCIe4 and PCIe5 standards. So that means I could even use a PCIe 1 card in tomorrow's PCIe standard slot. or take a card that is compliant with tomorrow's specification and get it to work in a first gen PCIe slot.

Due to speed differences though, you may or may not see a perceivable speed difference, depending on how old or new, and how much bandwidth the card uses. (if it maxes PCIe 2.0 and is placed in a PCIe 3.0, you'll not see a difference, but a PCIe 3.0 compliant card that uses max bandwidth of the PCIe 3 standard, will probably see a difference.)

EDIT: Just a FYI here, save up some money and get something better than that Chieftec PSU. The odds of it coming back and biting you are very high.

Solution