i7 920 RAM upgrade options

nickhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hello,

Currently I have an i7 920 processor on an ASUS P6T deluxe mobo with 3X2GB for 6GB of Corsair Dominator 1866 mhz RAM. I still have 3 slots left and i'm looking to take advantage of them, but I can't seem to find any 1866 mhz RAM for sale for an i7 920. Do I really need to go with 1866 mhz, or can I mix an match a 1600 with the 1866 mhz and still reap the benefits of the 1866 on the one set? Could somebody help me out with some options..

Solution

There's no such a thing as tri channel ram...three sticks of the same memory will work no problem...venders like to claim they "test" three sticks to work together as a "kit" but it's marketing BS. If you buy three sticks of the same memory you get three sticks of the same memory...there's no special sauce or magic involved.
When you mix ram it will set all of the modules to run at the speed of the slowest part...in other words...mixing 1866 and 1600 will get you 1600 all around. I would look on Ebay for some cheap memory....don't spend a lot though...an i7 920 is pretty old at this point

nickhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I'm not worried about the price I have to pay for the RAM. I built this PC almost 8-9 years ago for almost 4k and it was top of the line. I did add a GTX 1060, which didn't seem to bottle neck the CPU. It still runs great for the development I do and games I play. I'd prefer to get 1866mhz since the 1600 will cancel out the benefits I reap. Every site though seems to not provide a price or they are out of stock and for the RAM on ebay, newegg, amazon i've attempted to order all orders were canceled due to them not having any in stock.

NewEgg has ddr3 1866 listed right now...and they tell you if it's out of stock...memory doesn't have to be specific to the i7 920...any ddr3 will work (id look at the motherboard web site for compatible brands) even if you buy faster like 2133 and down clock it to 1866

There's no such a thing as tri channel ram...three sticks of the same memory will work no problem...venders like to claim they "test" three sticks to work together as a "kit" but it's marketing BS. If you buy three sticks of the same memory you get three sticks of the same memory...there's no special sauce or magic involved.

Solution