Hd 7770 1gb on low end 500w psu

HappyBucket

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
i'm planning on upgrading my gpu and plan to sell the old one, an AMD Radeon HD 7770 to a friend. The problem is, I'm not sure if my friends psu is good enough. It does not have a pcie 6pin, but the card came with a molex to 6pin adapter which I still have. I know most of you will say don't use it, unreliable etc. The psu has 500W. Here's some more detailed specs of the psu:
24A(12V), 25A(5V), 6A(3.3V), 1A(-12V), 3A(5VSB)

He does not plan on any overclocking and his pc does not use much power. His current specs are:
CPU: i5 4460
1tv HDD
Low end lga 1150 motherboard
8GB single stick ddr3 ram

Any help would be apreciated

Solution
D
You should be fine with using the adapter (Unless your PSU is Logisys or something equally terrible), although it is not the ideal solution, it will work.

HappyBucket

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Are you sure that the psu is capable of powering it without problems. I know the card does not use too much power but i am still not sure if it is safe

D

Deleted member 2121781

Seeing as this PSU only has 288W on the 12V rail, you may be able to power it, but you may also run into issues, do not power it using adapters, it may break violently if the power supply is really sketchy (I speak from experience). Just find a better PSU, it'll be worth it.

HappyBucket

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Thanks for the replay, the thing is my friend has a really low budget and wants to play a couple of games since he has no gpu right now, only the intel integrated gpu. I'll check but i think that the gpu and cpu combined won't ever get to 290W combined

D

Deleted member 2121781

As long as they don't go over the limit, he *should* be fine. What brand is the power supply?

HappyBucket

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Not sure but i know its not a popular one. I listed the specs of it in the post if you didn't see them you have thrm there so if you know how it works any help would be apreciated

HappyBucket

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

I also found this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1704712/pin-molex-6pin-pci-safe-psu-6pin-pci.html
Scroll down to where they start talking about the power consumption. Might be of help

D

Deleted member 2121781

You should be fine with using the adapter (Unless your PSU is Logisys or something equally terrible), although it is not the ideal solution, it will work.

Solution

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015

We need to know the brand of the PSU if we are able to give you any help. All you listed were the voltages for each line.
We want to know the brand, who made it. Gigabyte? EVGA? Intel? AMD? MSI? Corsair? Great Britian? Made in the USA?
What? Tell us already so we can make a decision.