i5 6500 Ram Speed compatabilities

DarkZero515

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I have an i5 6500 paired with an MSI Z170a SLI Plus motherboard.
Currently using Team Elite DDR4 2400 Ram as well. I'm not really familiar with what Ram speeds I can use with this CPU.
I've heard somethings about XMP profiles and am wondering if I can use faster Ram speeds, will they be beneficial with this Skylake chip and if I should use XMP to get 2400 on my Ram since I think it is defaulted at 2133.

Hello... Well... Any CPU/memory controller, not just "K"... If your getting default of 2133 @1T... that is "golden to me" ...Typically a XMP profile will be slightly higher in a 'number" but you will notice they will be at "2T"... 2133 @1T is going to be faster to respond than 2400 @2T... Don't let 'bigger" numbers fool you. It is a digital communications channel and having it linked at 1T (timing cycle) is best... now if you can get 2400 @1T 'stable" then go for it. B )

Memory and timings for the digital communication can get deep and complicated... there are a lot of settings you can tweak... Typically if you can get your MB to boot up day to day "stable" at the highest "1T" setting... is what's important to me.

Bigger numbers are a 'advertising' scheme or 'bragging rights"... question these memory sellers and ask them if that speed is a "1T Guaranty" and see how they respond B D