RX 470 problem with temps and performance.

umar720

Reputable
May 25, 2015
Hello guys,
Basically i bought a brand new gigabyte radeon rx 470 g1 gaming 4gb two months back and it had been working like a charm. Recently however i have started to feel micro stutter in games and they have started to grow more and more annoying.
When i use Fraps however it shows perfect 60FPS without any dips in PES2017 which is the game where this stuttering happens the most.
I don't know what is wrong with my card or any other component. Can anyone help me with this, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
First, test the CPU under load after removing the dust. If there was a lot of dust that's now cleaned, that's usually enough to get the stock cooler back to working normally.

If not, then you take out the CPU cooler, clean the CPU and the bottom of your CPU cooler with a alcohol and a cloth. Then proceed to apply a rice grain amount of non-conductive thermal paste on top of the CPU.

umar720

Reputable
May 25, 2015

No i am not recording anything and the temps while playing are around 63 to 65.

umar720

Reputable
May 25, 2015

These are my system specs:
MSI Z97 PC Mate
Core i7-4790 4-Core 3.6GHz
Radeon RX 470 GIGABYTE G1 4GB
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Cooler Master GX-550W
Thermaltake Commander GS-III

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Your CPU is throttling, It's exceeding 90 degrees meaning It's overheating badly. That's much higher than it should be and It's what's holding your system's performance back.

You need to check your CPU cooler for dust, re-apply thermal paste to the CPU Cooler.

umar720

Reputable
May 25, 2015

I removed all the dust from the case and this is the new temps at idle.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmthNCX1cVLb1pSeGxUNVZlRXc

I don't have a lot of experience with the thermal paste however, but it looks like a really dried and just a very thin patchy layer.
Do i need to replace it or is it supposed to look that way?
P.S I am using a stock cooler, and the room temperature is around 32-36C.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
First, test the CPU under load after removing the dust. If there was a lot of dust that's now cleaned, that's usually enough to get the stock cooler back to working normally.

If not, then you take out the CPU cooler, clean the CPU and the bottom of your CPU cooler with a alcohol and a cloth. Then proceed to apply a rice grain amount of non-conductive thermal paste on top of the CPU.

Solution

umar720

Reputable
May 25, 2015

I cleaned the system thoroughly but it didn't do much improvement, then i put some new thermal paste and it showed some considerably better temps and so i decided i will go with a non stock cooler from Cooler Master Vortex 211p, it was really cheap and it gave a very cool drop in temps.
Now even in the latest games like ME Andromeda when under full load the max cpu is going at is 70C.

Thanks so much.