Solved

PC shocks me when turned off but gone when i try to turn it on

Any help on this? I'm worred that something is wring with the psu.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shocks turned turn
  1. contact seasonic about it,
  2. Nothing's really that wrong, if you touched it without wearing slippers or some insulator. I've been shocked by both my PSUs and almost any component I ever touched barefoot.

    Describe the issue in a little more detail. What exactly happened?
  3. It could just be static.
    You're actually shocking the pc!
  4. @jasonkaler, that can be it. xD
  5. Yep, it'll be ESD coming off you, not electricity from any of the components.

    Some people are more prone to it than others, or because of certain types of materials they touch prior to it happening.

    You'll need to be extra careful when handling PC components (eg PC building or upgrading).
  6. How often does this happen?
  7. It just happened now. Yesterday it didnt so idk if its me or the pc. But before opening the pc i tried unplugging the cable from the psu and when i touch the case i'm still gwtting shocked or i'm sending of static, irdk what wrong
  8. Is the pc plugged directly into the wall, an ups, or a power strip? Is it an old house? Do you live in the US? Is it humid in your house?

    After it shocks you touch it again. Does it shock you a second time?
  9. jnkweaver said:
    Is the pc plugged directly into the wall, an ups, or a power strip? Is it an old house? Do you live in the US? Is it humid in your house?

    After it shocks you touch it again. Does it shock you a second time?



    I dont live in the US. its plugeed into an AVR as we dont have 3 prong sockets here.
  10. If it shocks you when you touch it again it is not ESD and you need to have a qualified electrician look at the house wiring. If it doesn't then it is most likely ESD and it is nothing to worry about other then trying not to shuffle your feet on the carpet and grounding yourself (touch a metal screw on a wall plate will work) before working on your computer

    ESD happens more often when the humidity in the house is low. If you heat with central air natural gas it is the worst for drying out the air, then propane, then electric.
  11. jnkweaver said:
    If it shocks you when you touch it again it is not ESD and you need to have a qualified electrician look at the house wiring. If it doesn't then it is most likely ESD and it is nothing to worry about other then trying not to shuffle your feet on the carpet and grounding yourself (touch a metal screw on a wall plate will work) before working on your computer

    ESD happens more often when the humidity in the house is low. If you heat with central air natural gas it is the worst for drying out the air, then propane, then electric.


    I just finished using it for a while trying to do something for school. While using it i wasn't experiencing shocks when i touch the case. Right when i turn it off, it shocked me again. Other than the wiring, what are other possible sources? Also, can i keep using my pc like this?
  12. It could be monitor.Some monitors from older generation can do sparks ( tiny) whem connecting to gpu or psu caps are full and you touch while the case is not grounded and you are grounding across.
  13. @Robert, PC "shocking" when turned off and not shocking when turned on clearly indicates an ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)... I've been to that monitor capacitance problem, it shocked me many times too but never when it was turned completely off, this isn't that.
  14. I disagree with Achint. I think it definitely points to a short in the system that is electrifying the case. It only shows up on shutdown because on a two prong plug system the ground is disconnected on shutdown. If you want to test it after shutdown unplug the computer without touching the case and then push in the power button (with it unplugged) like you are turning it on. This should discharge any capacitors that are still charge. Then touch the case. Plug it back in and touch the case again. My guess is you will have no shock.

    This is a modular psu so I don't expect you have alot of wires tied off anywhere. Does the motherboard sag anywhere possible touching the case? I would examine the wiring for any frays.
  15. @jnkweaver, @OP didn't describe the problem that precisely either. We don't know if the PC shocked right after it was turned off, or after it was turned off for a long time, so, we can't really be sure of what exactly we're dealing with here. That's why in the first place I asked @OP to describe the problem with more detail.
  16. Achint2000 said:
    @jnkweaver, @OP didn't describe the problem that precisely either. We don't know if the PC shocked right after it was turned off, or after it was turned off for a long time, so, we can't really be sure of what exactly we're dealing with here. That's why in the first place I asked @OP to describe the problem with more detail.


    It shocks me right after turning it off, right after shutdown. I'm gonna try what he said about unplugging and turning it on without it plugged.
  17. Best answer
    Well, that's it then. When your PC shuts down, check if any lights are still on and after it shuts down, switch its power off (from the power chord/plug) and press the power button once again, that will discharge any charged capacitors. Also make sure your monitor is completely off.
Ask a new question