At 3820 x 1600, 60Hz, if I were to buy a graphics card today, what would be needed?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, so, this is hypothetical, as I know Vega is coming out, and I know there's supply issues with current AMD cards, etc etc.

However - if the AMD shortage didn't exist, and if we don't look at "coming soon" cards, what would it take to make relatively modern games play at 60Hz with high details?

I know what it takes to drive that for 4K, but, in my case, we're talking about approximately 75% of the number of pixels that 4K has.

Thoughts?

Solution
"Run" AAA titles at 3820x1600 could be achieved by a 1070..... if you played at very low.

If you wanted max (or near max) settings, ~60FPS to match a 60Hz monitor, only the 1080TI can come close to achieving that fairly consistently. Even then, that;'s not going to be the case on all titles.

gtx 1080 ti for sure for Ultra AAA gaming (since a gtx 1080 ti performs well in 4K but struggles in some titles), a gtx 1080 will be a good solution too but it will struggle in some titles.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"Run" AAA titles at 3820x1600 could be achieved by a 1070..... if you played at very low.

If you wanted max (or near max) settings, ~60FPS to match a 60Hz monitor, only the 1080TI can come close to achieving that fairly consistently. Even then, that;'s not going to be the case on all titles.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I should have also thrown in as a "part 2" to my initial question - "and if I ran them at 2560x1080 (though obviously I'd prefer native), what could handle it?" (in that case, my off-the-cuff math says it's 2.75 million pixels being pumped through)

I realize, naturally, that the scaling will cause some loss of crispness in the graphics if I do that.