FX 9590 dies when playing games?

Flexicution_

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Hey I have a FX 9590, gtx 1060, sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard and a noctua nh-u9b se2 CPU cooler running on windows 10

when I play for example Playerunknown's battlegrounds or gta 5 the pc dies after like 30 min with temperature over 70c.

Is that too hot or is there something else?

Btw Im 16 and on a budget so if a could fix this problem without buying a new coller that would be great.

Oh and what is the max temperature for a fx 9590 before it gets burnt?

Solution
I often recommend people don't dump money into these old FX systems if they can avoid it. The CPU design was released in 2012 and wasn't particularly good when it was new. Not only do they produce a ton of heat, but they also perform well below their price point in gaming, often being outperformed by newer $60 CPUs, so it doesn't make much sense to me to spend $xxx on cooling. Opening the side of your case and pointing a house fan into it may help, though it will certainly be noisy and take up space. I'd be more inclined to eBay it and replace it with something cheaper, faster and cooler than to buy a new heatsink for it, if it comes to that, but again a house fan may work and cost you nothing.

Flexicution_

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017

Hey I bought all the parts a couple of months ago but im not a expert at building pcs so i gave it to my uncle a couple of weeks ago and got it back 2 days ago but it keeps dying when I play more intense cpu games like gta 5 but it works fine for cs go last night I played cs go for 5 hours without a crash.

I know I should have a watercoller but I just sisnt buy one because air are cheaper but I'll probebly get forced in to buying one.
do you have any cheap examples?

I often recommend people don't dump money into these old FX systems if they can avoid it. The CPU design was released in 2012 and wasn't particularly good when it was new. Not only do they produce a ton of heat, but they also perform well below their price point in gaming, often being outperformed by newer $60 CPUs, so it doesn't make much sense to me to spend $xxx on cooling. Opening the side of your case and pointing a house fan into it may help, though it will certainly be noisy and take up space. I'd be more inclined to eBay it and replace it with something cheaper, faster and cooler than to buy a new heatsink for it, if it comes to that, but again a house fan may work and cost you nothing.

Solution

Well you have a 9590. it's already hard enough to keep that chip running at stock speeds with a custom loop.
It's a horrible cpu and already past the 5 year old mark and not really capable of keeping up with the latest games anymore. The problem you are having is the problem pretty much every 9590 owner has and the best thing you can do is either downclock it to 4 ghz or get something else. Even i3's today are matching if not beating it in games.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

A cheap cooler is part of the reason you have the problem you do in the first place (another major part being this is probably the worst consumer CPU release in 15 years). You either need to shell out the dough for a significantly more expensive liquid cooler -- and still no guarantee a 9590 won't give you trouble -- or you need to underclock the 9590 so that you essentially have an 8350.

Flexicution_

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017

Yeah thx im gonna underclock my cpu to 4.0 ghz for now and later in like august buy a water cooler

Thx so much for the help guys <3

Don't buy a water cooler the 9590 is unstable anyways at stock clock just save up so you can go to a newer platform as your cpu is really outdated already.