FX-6300 bottlenecking GTX960 2GB

Natan_3

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
hy guys, i really need some help:
i got a fx 6300 3.5 (stock) and it has been bottlenecking my gtx960.
I mostly play BF1 and BF4 and in both games I get 95%~100% CPU usage and 40% maximum of GPU usage.
On BF1, i got and avarage of 30fps on low settings (64 players), bf4 same fps with medium-high settings.
Searching on the web I saw links that show that my specs can do more.

THINGS THAT I'VE ALREADY TRIED AND DIDN'T WORKED:
power supply is fine
RAM use normal
maximum per-rendered frames: tried all four options, all turned out the same
all drivers and windows are up-to-date.

I got this pc for 2 years and it hasn't been that way all the time, but i can't tell when this started

SPECS:
WIN 7 64 Bits
FX6300 6 core 3.5GHz
GTX 960 2gb
8GB 1600 RAM
Mother Board: ATX GA-970A-DS3P

jpe1701

Honorable
Well I know bf1 is cpu intensive, don't know about bf4, but how about other games? If I don't know a lot about fx processors but from what I gather it would not be unlikely that you have a bottleneck going on with the cpu heavy games.

Natan_3

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
When a set graphics to high on BF1 GPU usage goes around 60-70%, CPU still 95>, and fps stays almost the same, it drops slightly.

I did some clean o my PC and BF4 is running better now, going to check the CPU usage playing it later

This is exactly what you'd expect if you're CPU limited. If your GPU is (hypothetically) capable of 60fps and your CPU is only capable of feeding it fast enough for you to get 30fps, you'll get 30fps and 50% GPU usage. The upside is that since your GPU is sitting half idle waiting for your CPU, you can crank up the graphical settings "for free".

Before anything else, check to make sure your CPU isn't downclocking during gaming. If it's staying steady at 3.5ghz, your only real option is replacement. There haven't been any new CPU designs for AM3+ since 2012 and the FX 8-core CPUs released then won't be a huge upgrade, so your best option at that point is probably a replacement motherboard + CPU + RAM, to either AMD's new Ryzen CPUs or Intel's socket 1151.

Natan_3

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
I get it... Well, if my CPU is downclocking it is because of some other problem, because I'm sure it isn't temperature.

What really upsets me is seeing other people with the same specs running much better than me.

Overclocking the CPU can solve part of the problem right?

Natan_3

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
so i just tested BF4 again watching the numbers and on high graphics I get 75% max CPU usage while GPU goes to 40% max usage, and the fps sometimes goes to 60 but everytime when a combat or explosions come in it drops to 40, so basically i'm playing on 50~40 FPS, I think there's something wrong with the video card, not sure if it should be so low on the GPU usage