RX 550 vs R7 250x crossfire

RazorG90

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Between a RX 550 2GB and a R7 250x 2GB DDR5 Crossfire, which will give a better performance. No need to consider the prices of the cards.Just need the performance comparison also no need to sweat about the details or problems of Crossfire.

Solution
Appreciating it's your advice, but I'd disagree, for the most part.

Unless the OP already has a 7600K or similar, investing in it would a bit of a waste considering the (relatively) performance of those GPUs. They'd probably pair fairly well with an i3 or older ~2nd Gen i5's etc.

As for the potential benefit, this is a little dated, and is dealing with higher end cards (CF 480's), but it serves the point.
http://www.funkykit.com/articles/two-radeon-rx-480-crossfire-performance-analyzed/4/

Relative to a single 480, CF performed:
ThemeSpy (DX12) +75%
FireStrike (DX11) +63%
Monster Hunter -0.25% (yes, 0.25% worse than a single 480)
DOOM +7.2%
Cinebench +2%

So, while there are workloads that benefit...... they're not exactly...

Tech_Daddy

Prominent
May 2, 2017
R7 250x

{ Extra note }

Pro:-
> Doubling the performance
> Able to output more power and get the job done quicker
> Useful in areas of video editing
> Vastly improve your gaming experience

Cons:-
> More calculation
> cost
> Major drawback is compatibility
> Motherboard that supports SLI or Crossfire technology
> Power supply
> larger case
> More heat
> Need a higher-end processor ( My recommendation is Extreme Edition processor )

Best of luck and have a great day..!

I'd go with the crossfire for this reason: The 550 is not really a gaming card, the 460/560 would be AMD's entry level gaming card in this generation. The 550 can be used to play games, especially if you limit yourself to esports games, but that doesn't make it a gaming card.

So in a contest of 1 card vs 2 card crossfire, if the 1 card isn't a decent gaming card then the crossfire setup wins.

edii: This doesn't take into account what CPU you have, what games you play, what resolution you run, or what framerate you need. It's entirely possible that given this choice, adding a second 250X will be a waste of money.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@Tech_Daddy....

Tech_Daddy

Prominent
May 2, 2017
That's just an advise ( Optional ) otherwise at least use Intel Core i5-7600K or Intel Core i7-7700K If you want something best out of it.

Today's modern games you will definitely have the benefit of crossfire especially in video editing .

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Appreciating it's your advice, but I'd disagree, for the most part.

Unless the OP already has a 7600K or similar, investing in it would a bit of a waste considering the (relatively) performance of those GPUs. They'd probably pair fairly well with an i3 or older ~2nd Gen i5's etc.

As for the potential benefit, this is a little dated, and is dealing with higher end cards (CF 480's), but it serves the point.
http://www.funkykit.com/articles/two-radeon-rx-480-crossfire-performance-analyzed/4/

Relative to a single 480, CF performed:
ThemeSpy (DX12) +75%
FireStrike (DX11) +63%
Monster Hunter -0.25% (yes, 0.25% worse than a single 480)
DOOM +7.2%
Cinebench +2%

So, while there are workloads that benefit...... they're not exactly wholesale.

As for "today's modern games", that's probably backwards. It was a little more common for Multi-GPU configs to be supported in older titles....well at least. Some titles do support it, some even scale pretty well, but the chances of the OP only playing games that support CF well, are slim to say the least.

Not the most comprehensive, or detailed list, but still. Games and CF:
http://amdcrossfire.wikia.com/wiki/Crossfire_Game_Compatibility_List

"Excellent" is considered >60% caling, "Good" 30-60% and so on.
Even with scaling, you have the added microstutter concern.

Solution