1000 watt power supply overkill for my 4K video editing system.

pcHobby

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
I originally had a quadcore, Gigabyte Mobo, 2 X 1-2gb GPU, 1 DVD-RW, Liquid CPU Cooler, 4 X HD, 1 X SSD and an external eSata drive connected running off a Seasonic 650watt power supply.

Whenever I have all HDs running and I connect 2 external 2.5' USB 3.0 drives or USB sticks, my computer would have issues loading the external drives or usb sticks. It would hang or the directory listing of the external drives would not show and cause my computer to freeze.

I had the same issues when I had a 400w power supply and using external devices on a previous duocore build. I upped the PS for the quadcore and it ran fine until I added more external drives and encountering the same issues from previous.

I am now upgrading the quadcore to a new system to allow for 4K video editing. i76800k, Noctua 15Ds, Asus X99-A II Motherboard, 4 X 8gb ram, 4-5 X HD 7200 drives, 1-2 X SSD, 1 M2 drive and GTX 1070 GPU.

I do not think my 650 watt PS will hold up with this new setup because it struggled with the previous Quadcore build, so I have opted for the Coolermaster 1000w. Is this overkill? I read somewhere that you should atleast use up 50% of your CPU wattage for efficiency and so, I would think this would atleast run 500W since 650 couldnt handle my previous setup.

Have I diagnosed the external drive issues due to PS incorrectly from before?

Thanks.

650w is more than enough for your build. Seasonic is a reliable and reputed brand and I don't think the 650w PSU of theirs was causing the problem you were facing. Maybe it was because you had 2 GPUs in your previous PC that was sucking all the power, or it was just the drives that were causing the problems. I really think the 650w Seasonic is a better match for your new build. If you have already purchased the new PSU its alright, but as you probably already realized, unnecessary and overkill.

pcHobby

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi Trafalgar747, the GPU were Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT and NVidia Geforce GT430. I don't know what I really need. I have used various calculators that state that the load would be 570-650watts with my new system and then recommending PS from 650-1000 watts. My concern is having issues of not being able to use external hds or usb sticks because of power issues.

Right now, if I turn on all internal hard drives and external 3.5 drive and plug an external 2.5 drive, I would get issues with the 2.5 drive hanging and not listing all the contents correctly on my quadcore.

I don't know whether it is overkill. I have a 650 watt PS that I can't use fully because of the issues mentioned so that is why I didn't want to experiment with the new build using the old PS.

I think the Seasonic PS is great but I think it is underpowered?