HD 6990 issues

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016
So I just got a hd 6990 very good price lower than 200 and it was in mint condition. And it having a lot of performance issues. I have graphical glitches and fps stays around 20 fps the temps are normal around 85c. And I think it a driver issues because I just put me it back in today and it was working like it was suppose to do and as soon as I restarted it it started to have the issues again, anyone know a stable driver version or have any idea what causing it.

Solution
Sounds like a plan. If I had Paypal, I'd ask if you wanted to buy mine after you sold that one:) Maybe another payment method as well and low price sale just to give it a new home rather than being boxed up in closet. It's a Sapphire brand reference design with Swiftech Epsilon 6990 full cover waterblock. Bought at launch and used on weekends for about 1.5 yrs until switching to Nvidia. Still have original box, accessories, and stock cooler. For reference, it only was aircooled for about 2 months before switching to water. Never overclocked though, didn't start that until recently with GPUs. Regarding temps, after being watercooled max temp was 43C full load in same Dragon's Age 2 game vs. 94C max on air.

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016

He ran it stock with the latest driver and I know the gpu needs at least 750watts I have a 650watt fsp hydro I will buying a fsp 750watt soon, but the thing that was weird as soon as I put the card back in today it was running how it was suppose to be until windows did the flash screen like when windows automatic drivers installing the drivers but it was already installed before and after I restarted it had the performance issue again. I think it a driver issues because I play bmg drive and I get 60fps with not graphical issues if I go overwatch I'm locked at 30 and get lots of graphical glitches, and the highest temp is 85c not not over heating.

kookie3010

Honorable

the glitch might be artifacts.have u done a clean driver wipe and what windows are u running atm?if it seems that the driver keeps on getting updated i suggest disabling the auto update from windows update.however windows 10 does not have the ability to do so if i am not mistaken.

Still have a 6990 in storage. They are very power hungry. AMD underrated the power consmption I read awhile back. I had driver issues myself at first, but fine after a newer version. Also had to run driver cleaner in safe mode before installing new driver to get up and running. This is the card that got me back into watercooling :) When I bought at launch, I was playing Dragon's Age 2. I had no graphic glitches or performance issues, but fan was loud and temps floated between 88C and 94C during gameplay...ouch.

I would force the fan speed up and re-test to see if it's temp related.

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016

I used DDU (display driver uninstaller) and I have already disable the automatic installer and I still had the graphical issues in the game.

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016

I'm been planing to get a 750 or higher psu and I tried when I first got the card running I ran it at max fan speed still have the same issues. I mite sell the card again because I got it cheap and could sell it for 200 or more and get another 6970 for cross fire my last option or r9 290x or hd 7970.

Sounds like a plan. If I had Paypal, I'd ask if you wanted to buy mine after you sold that one:) Maybe another payment method as well and low price sale just to give it a new home rather than being boxed up in closet. It's a Sapphire brand reference design with Swiftech Epsilon 6990 full cover waterblock. Bought at launch and used on weekends for about 1.5 yrs until switching to Nvidia. Still have original box, accessories, and stock cooler. For reference, it only was aircooled for about 2 months before switching to water. Never overclocked though, didn't start that until recently with GPUs. Regarding temps, after being watercooled max temp was 43C full load in same Dragon's Age 2 game vs. 94C max on air.

Solution