Getting 100% CPU on new Battlefront 2 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin_225

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I recently began playing the new Battlefront 2 Alpha and while playing my CPU will occasionally jump to 100% and cause the game to run sluggishly. I have a very high-end GPU but my CPU is from 2011. However, when I turn the graphic settings down in the game it does seem to help. Even on lowest settings though it will still jump to 100%. Is it because it's an alpha game or is my CPU getting too old to handle these new games?

My Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30GHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Thanks!

Solution
To overclock, you increase your CPU's multiplier in the BIOS. First set your CPU core voltage to manual and leave it at the default, then increase the multiplier, best option is to do it in 100MHz increments then you stress test. Stress testing tools include things like Prime95 or OCCT. If it passes a stress test, then increase the multiplier again, if it fails, then you need to increase the core voltage and try again. Do not increase the core voltage too much, do so in small increments eg. 0.01 volt increments. There is a maximum safe voltage as well that you should not exceed, though I don't know off the top of my head what it is for Sandy Bridge, check the CPU documentation or a more detailed overclocking guide.

For overclocking...
It is an alpha build so it's not going to be all that well optimized, but your CPU is starting to get long in the tooth. You do have a 2500k so if you have a P67, Z68 or Z77 motherboard I would suggest overclocking. You should be able to get it up to around 4.5GHz which would help.

Having said that if Battlefront 2 is like Battlefield 1 you may still get slowdowns regardless of clockspeed, as Battlefield 1 needs the additional threads of an i7 in order to be able to easily stay above 60FPS.

Justin_225

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the replies! My mother board specs are -
Manufacturer - ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model - Maximus IV GENE-Z
Chipset - Intel Sandy Bridge - Z68

I'm not sure how I would go about overclocking my CPU so any help in that regard would be very much appreciated.

To overclock, you increase your CPU's multiplier in the BIOS. First set your CPU core voltage to manual and leave it at the default, then increase the multiplier, best option is to do it in 100MHz increments then you stress test. Stress testing tools include things like Prime95 or OCCT. If it passes a stress test, then increase the multiplier again, if it fails, then you need to increase the core voltage and try again. Do not increase the core voltage too much, do so in small increments eg. 0.01 volt increments. There is a maximum safe voltage as well that you should not exceed, though I don't know off the top of my head what it is for Sandy Bridge, check the CPU documentation or a more detailed overclocking guide.

For overclocking you're going to need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't already have one, the stock cooler will not deal with the increased heat output that overclocking brings.

Solution
Its just not you mate. I have an i5 6600 and it is constantly hitting 98 to 100 % causing stuttering few times on battlefront 2 beat. It just shows how pc games are so unoptimised in respect to console games. They should actually fix this rather than forcing consumers to upgrade every 6 months; today its 6 cores 12 threads, next we know mainstream 10 cores, 20 threads-- its just that not everyone can afford to upgrade a pc every 6 months;
I know this is an old thread but wanted to weigh in my opinion.

Quad-cores had a good run of about 10 years where they could keep up with the fastest gaming GPUs. It was last year with Battlefield 1 where they became not enough. Things progress and we're now needing at least 6 (fast) threads for those games. Intel has been sandbagging, we could have probably had 6-cores in mainstream CPUs from Intel years ago. But they had no competition from AMD.

If put in that way, isn't 6 cores 8 cores, piledriver chips available from amd since 2011; And one thing interesting is that IPC's don't matter now in terms of gaming performance; my question is why, wasn't it supposed to be better ipc, better performance; star wars battlefront 2 lists fx 6300 for amd as minimum spec whereas i5 6600k as minimum for intel. The same goes for battlefield 1. Its clear that game developers only optimize and correct for consoles, pc games are just poor optimizations and buggy. To those who said after ps4 and xbox one launch that the end of console gaming is near, its the opposite;
to be precise, an i5 6600 is way more capable and if pc games are properly optimised, it wouldnt make a consumer update their machines every alternate year; 4 cores with such ipc and performance is way more than enough for moderate to high gaming details.

The FX line wasn't really a true 6/8 core design, the FX 8xxx CPUs are closer to 4 cores and 8 threads due to the shared resources in the design and the absolutely atrocious IPC meant that these chips still lost to the i7s even in heavily threaded tasks. Even with the higher core and thread count, the FX chips still lose to the Haswell or newer i5s in just about every game. The only titles where the FX chips can compete vs. a current i5 are Crysis 3 and Mafia 3, and in the case of Mafia 3 that's probably because the port was so bad I wouldn't be surprised if they literally just copied and pasted the Xbox One code and released it on PC, hence why it runs like shit on anything with less than 8 threads.

supermetalmilitia

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Hi. I have 2 PCs in my house. One with 4k 60fps not problem and run Smoth but wen I playing in widescreen 3840x1440 100hz 2k (2.5k) in the my wife PC the cpu up to 83/86c and we have the same cpu i7700k with titanxp 4k run smooth and in the PC of my wife 1080 i7700k monitor widescreen cpu star burning....Alsow I check the bios only for make sure that everything be all right and put in the fans in max and the power pump same think as well!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.