Solved

Building my first pc, please check my parts list

I have been into computers very long and I have always wanted to build one but did not have the money to do so (I am a student). Now my poor Sony VIAO laptop (4.5 y/o) broke (with a i7-3537u and GT740M). I do not have any console or something else to game on and I am using the family computer (aka moms working station) to do the basic things. I cannot install any games on this.
I hope all parts I want to put together are compatible (see below)
So maybe you have some suggestions with parts where I can save money.
I first wanted to put an GTX1070 in... I still want to, but the budget... and I do not want to bottleneck anything.

Parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Boxed (because this is overclockable but comes with a factory cooler) €186.50

MOBO: ASUS Prime B350-Plus €102.5

CASE: Corsair Carbide 270R window €64

PSU: Corsair CS550M €73.95

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 kit €130.95

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Strix OC 6GB €339.00
or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus 6GB (9Gbps)
or EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 3GB €264.99 (this one got my attention in comparison tests)
or ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB €229.00
or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB €217.50
or whatever suggestion you guys have. I do not really mind if it is overclocked because of NVIDIA's GPU boost which will boost it (even more).

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB €95.00+ Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB €67.00
Total cost without monitor and GPU: €719.90

Monitor: AOC G2460VQ6, 1920x1080, 75Hz, 92ppi, 1ms €139.00
Total cost with monitor but without GPU: €858.90

Budget Range: incl. monitor max. around €1250 (actually I wanted to stay below 1000/1100 euros with my pc but the GPU market is messed up)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but this will not be a problem, I hope
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I live in the Netherlands, the Dutch webshops are connected to a site called hardware.info (or nl.hardware.info)
Location: Netherlands. Small country, so shipping, etc. is all the same here.
Parts Preferences: Only for the GPU: NVIDIA due to its GPU boost but I would also accept a AMD RX580
Overclocking: Maybe for later when I will have more money to spend on CPU/case cooling.
SLI or Crossfire: No, do not even exactly know what it means
Your Monitor Resolution: looking for gaming on 1920x1080
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building check parts list
  1. Best answer
    Vincent264 said:
    I have been into computers very long and I have always wanted to build one but did not have the money to do so (I am a student). Now my poor Sony VIAO laptop (4.5 y/o) broke (with a i7 3537u and GT740M). I do not have any console or something else to game on and I am using the family computer (aka moms working station) to do the basic things. I cannot install any games on this.
    I hope all parts I want to put together are compatible (see below)
    So maybe you have some suggestions with parts where I can save money.
    I first wanted to put an GTX1070 in... I still want to, but the budget... and I do not want to bottleneck anything.
    Parts:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Boxed (because this is overclockable but comes with a factory cooler) €186.50

    MOBO: ASUS Prime B350-Plus €102.5

    CASE: Corsair Carbide 270R window €64

    PSU: Corsair CS550M €73.95

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 kit €130.95

    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus 6GB (9Gbps)
    or EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 3GB €264.99
    or ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB
    or whatever suggestion you guys have. I do not really mind if it is overclocked because of NVIDIA's GPU boost which will boost it (even more).

    Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB €95.00+ Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB €67.00
    Monitor: AOC G2460VQ6, 1920x1080, 75Hz, 92ppi, 1ms €139.00

    Budget Range: incl. monitor max. €1300 (actually I wanted to stay below 1000 euros with my pc but the GPU market is messed up)
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
    Are you buying a monitor: Yes
    Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but this will not be a problem, I hope
    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I live in the Netherlands, the Dutch webshops are connected to a site called hardware.info (or nl.hardware.info)
    Location: Netherlands. Small country, so shipping, etc. is all the same here.
    Parts Preferences: Only for the GPU: NVIDIA due to its GPU boost but I would also accept a AMD RX580
    Overclocking: Maybe for later when I will have more money to spend on CPU/case cooling.
    SLI or Crossfire: No, do not even exactly know what it means
    Your Monitor Resolution: looking for gaming on 1920x1080


    Here's a suggested/modified parts to increase performance and at the same time fit your budget:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Boxed (€213.95 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4 (€83.65 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 kit (€127.00 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (€82.66 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB (64MB) (€48.95 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce 6GB (€268.50 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C Window Black (€77.50 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Power Supply: Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 520W (€66.00 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Total: €968.21

    Plus (suggested monitor):
    Monitor (1080p/144Hz w/ G-Sync): Acer XB240HAbpr (€366.75 @ nl.hardware.info)

    Notes:
    CPU - All Ryzen CPUs are overclockable (even the non-"X" models) as long as you pair it with the B350 or X370 AM4 motherboard. I upgraded your initial 4-core/8-thread Ryzen 5 1500X to the 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 5 1600 for longevity as games are now starting to use more cores/threads. A very decent CPU cooler is also included in this CPU.

    Motherboard - Upgraded your Asus B350 Plus (6 Power Phases only) to the ASRock AB350M Pro4 (9 Power Phases). The ASRock is a micro-ATX mobo that also has all of the features as the ATX-sized Asus B350 Plus: 4x RAM slots, 2x PCIe x16 slots (but the Asus only has 1x PCIe3.0 x16 + 1x PCIe2.0 x16 that runs in x4-mode; while the ASRock has 2x PCIe3.0 x16, where the 2nd also runs in x4-mode), 6x SATA ports, and 8x USB rear panel ports. But the ASRock has more ports/connections (despite being an mATX) compared to the Asus B350 Plus in terms of: 4x PCIe x1 slots (vs Asus' 2x), 2x M.2 sockets (vs Asus' 1x), ALC892 audio codec (vs Asus' ALC887), and 4x total fan headers (vs Asus' 3x).

    RAM - Same RAM as you have selected.

    Storage (SSD) - Same SSD as you have selected.

    Storage (HDD) - Replaced SSHD to WD 1TB Blue HHD 7200rpm (for price/performance).

    GPU - Got the lowest-cost GTX 1060-6GB dual fan (non-OC) in the website.

    Case - A good-quality mATX case, minimalist design, with great cable management, clean looks, and ample airflow. Highly-reviewed.

    PSU - Got a good-quality fully modular 520-watt PSU (more than enough for your system with ample headroom for OC or future upgrades). The M12II-520 EVO has 5-year warranty compared to the Corsair CS550M (semi-modular) with only 3.

    Monitor - A 1080p resolution / 144Hz refresh rate with G-Sync for variable refresh rate synchronization with your Nvidia GPU. This will eliminate screen-tearing and make gameplay smoother. An investment should you upgrade to a more powerful Nvidia GPU (such as a GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti) later on.
  2. ^ that's a nice build & is similar to what I'd suggest.

    On a personal level id go with the full size pro4 board
    An mx300 275gb m2 drive

    & something cheaper on the case front but still decent like the zalman r1 or z9 neo.

    That said there's nothing wrong with that build list at all , I just prefer mid tower rigs with full atx boards.

    The monitor ? I think that aoc is good enough , I would not entertain paying that kind of money for the acer 1080p screen , gsync or not.
  3. raisonjohn said:
    Vincent264 said:
    I have been into computers very long and I have always wanted to build one but did not have the money to do so (I am a student). Now my poor Sony VIAO laptop (4.5 y/o) broke (with a i7 3537u and GT740M). I do not have any console or something else to game on and I am using the family computer (aka moms working station) to do the basic things. I cannot install any games on this.
    I hope all parts I want to put together are compatible (see below)
    So maybe you have some suggestions with parts where I can save money.
    I first wanted to put an GTX1070 in... I still want to, but the budget... and I do not want to bottleneck anything.
    Parts:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Boxed (because this is overclockable but comes with a factory cooler) €186.50

    MOBO: ASUS Prime B350-Plus €102.5

    CASE: Corsair Carbide 270R window €64

    PSU: Corsair CS550M €73.95

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 kit €130.95

    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus 6GB (9Gbps)
    or EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 3GB €264.99
    or ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB
    or whatever suggestion you guys have. I do not really mind if it is overclocked because of NVIDIA's GPU boost which will boost it (even more).

    Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB €95.00+ Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB €67.00
    Monitor: AOC G2460VQ6, 1920x1080, 75Hz, 92ppi, 1ms €139.00

    Budget Range: incl. monitor max. €1300 (actually I wanted to stay below 1000 euros with my pc but the GPU market is messed up)
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
    Are you buying a monitor: Yes
    Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but this will not be a problem, I hope
    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I live in the Netherlands, the Dutch webshops are connected to a site called hardware.info (or nl.hardware.info)
    Location: Netherlands. Small country, so shipping, etc. is all the same here.
    Parts Preferences: Only for the GPU: NVIDIA due to its GPU boost but I would also accept a AMD RX580
    Overclocking: Maybe for later when I will have more money to spend on CPU/case cooling.
    SLI or Crossfire: No, do not even exactly know what it means
    Your Monitor Resolution: looking for gaming on 1920x1080


    Here's a suggested/modified parts to increase performance and at the same time fit your budget:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Boxed (€213.95 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4 (€83.65 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 kit (€127.00 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (€82.66 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB (64MB) (€48.95 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce 6GB (€268.50 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C Window Black (€77.50 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Power Supply: Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 520W (€66.00 @ nl.hardware.info)
    Total: €968.21

    Plus (suggested monitor):
    Monitor (1080p/144Hz w/ G-Sync): Acer XB240HAbpr (€366.75 @ nl.hardware.info)

    Notes:
    CPU - All Ryzen CPUs are overclockable (even the non-"X" models) as long as you pair it with the B350 or X370 AM4 motherboard. I upgraded your initial 4-core/8-thread Ryzen 5 1500X to the 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 5 1600 for longevity as games are now starting to use more cores/threads. A very decent CPU cooler is also included in this CPU.

    Motherboard - Upgraded your Asus B350 Plus (6 Power Phases only) to the ASRock AB350M Pro4 (9 Power Phases). The ASRock is a micro-ATX mobo that also has all of the features as the ATX-sized Asus B350 Plus: 4x RAM slots, 2x PCIe x16 slots (but the Asus only has 1x PCIe3.0 x16 + 1x PCIe2.0 x16 that runs in x4-mode; while the ASRock has 2x PCIe3.0 x16, where the 2nd also runs in x4-mode), 6x SATA ports, and 8x USB rear panel ports. But the ASRock has more ports/connections (despite being an mATX) compared to the Asus B350 Plus in terms of: 4x PCIe x1 slots (vs Asus' 2x), 2x M.2 sockets (vs Asus' 1x), ALC892 audio codec (vs Asus' ALC887), and 4x total fan headers (vs Asus' 3x).

    RAM - Same RAM as you have selected.

    Storage (SSD) - Same SSD as you have selected.

    Storage (HDD) - Replaced SSHD to WD 1TB Blue HHD 7200rpm (for price/performance).

    GPU - Got the lowest-cost GTX 1060-6GB dual fan (non-OC) in the website.

    Case - A good-quality mATX case, minimalist design, with great cable management, clean looks, and ample airflow. Highly-reviewed.

    PSU - Got a good-quality fully modular 520-watt PSU (more than enough for your system with ample headroom for OC or future upgrades). The M12II-520 EVO has 5-year warranty compared to the Corsair CS550M (semi-modular) with only 3.

    Monitor - A 1080p resolution / 144Hz refresh rate with G-Sync for variable refresh rate synchronization with your Nvidia GPU. This will eliminate screen-tearing and make gameplay smoother. An investment should you upgrade to a more powerful Nvidia GPU (such as a GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti) later on.


    Thanks for your feedback! I understand. The problem with the graphics card is you need to check the stock of the supplier. Everything is fine except 10/11+ working days (so it might as well take a month) or pre-order (could take even longer). If it says something which guarantees you the maximum delivery time like "1 day" or "4-10 working days" than that is fine.

    Those GPUs I need to look up on the producer's site itself (like the EVGA 1060 3GB) or they are just not in stock... due to the recent activities on the GPU market (many people upgrading, and selling their used cards). Those make cards expensive and out of stock.
  4. madmatt30 said:
    ^ that's a nice build & is similar to what I'd suggest.

    On a personal level id go with the full size pro4 board
    An mx300 275gb m2 drive

    & something cheaper on the case front but still decent like the zalman r1 or z9 neo.

    That said there's nothing wrong with that build list at all , I just prefer mid tower rigs with full atx boards.

    The monitor ? I think that aoc is good enough , I would not entertain paying that kind of money for the acer 1080p screen , gsync or not.


    Thanks for the feedback! I also saw the M2 cards, etc. But I have not found out what the differences are for SSD with a SATA, mSATA, m2, etc. so what are they actually? And GSYNC is just that the frames on the screen are being synced with the GPU output, right? So you do not get crappy frames
  5. ^ re - gsync - exactly that - raisinjohn picked a 144htz screen out there .
    Ryzen (& a 1060) general topoff point is around 100fps so gsync makes sense in that scenario.
    The issue is its just stupidly expensive
    The aoc you originally picked is a good gaming screen & is very well priced, personally I would stick with it.

    There are 2 types of m2 drive , sata & nvme

    Sata is exactly the same speed & spec as a normal sata drive, the benefit is size & the fact there is no need to run any cables to the drive as it slots directly to the board.
    Nvme ia a newer tech that uses PCI express lanes & can operate at near double the speed.
    The mx300 I suggest is standard sata m2 , its a firm favourite because of the extra space it offers more than anything else.You can install windows 10 on an mx300 & still have more space left than a fresh 250/250gb drive.

    Unfortunately not a good time for GPU buying as you're finding out , you are not on your own here :-/
  6. madmatt30 said:
    ^ re - gsync - exactly that - raisinjohn picked a 144htz screen out there .
    Ryzen (& a 1060) general topoff point is around 100fps so gsync makes sense in that scenario.
    The issue is its just stupidly expensive
    The aoc you originally picked is a good gaming screen & is very well priced, personally I would stick with it.

    There are 2 types of m2 drive , sata & nvme

    Sata is exactly the same speed & spec as a normal sata drive, the benefit is size & the fact there is no need to run any cables to the drive as it slots directly to the board.
    Nvme ia a newer tech that uses PCI express lanes & can operate at near double the speed.
    The mx300 I suggest is standard sata m2 , its a firm favourite because of the extra space it offers more than anything else.You can install windows 10 on an mx300 & still have more space left than a fresh 250/250gb drive.

    Unfortunately not a good time for GPU buying as you're finding out , you are not on your own here :-/


    Yes, I know, that is also what I mentioned in my original post and that is why I was considering the GTX1060 3GB card because that saves me a lot of money for a card that is only about 5-10% slower than its 6GB brother. What I am considering now, is to increase my budget and getting a GTX1080 because these cards have not been affected YET by the cryptomining... I will be posting a new build because the GPU market is messed up, like I posted in my original post and you also mentioned it :)
Ask a new question

Read More

PC Builds Build