GT 630 keeps crashing.

RicoHet

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
I have had this issue for several days now and have yet to fix it, I'm left on the brink of buying a new GPU entirely (Something I was planning to do by Christmas anyway)

I'd still like to see if I can fix the problem for the time being so here it goes,

My GT 630 4GB Driver Version : 376.33 started to randomly crash and give me the message : "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

Initially, it started out only when I played games, not particularly intensive games either.

(EU IV, MnB: Warband, PD2 (the exception, for the card anyway.) )

later even minor games like say, RimWorld and such began crashing it, and now even sometimes browsing (if loading a image/video heavy page) it's began to crash. (Randomly however.)

Specs/Pics :

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GT 630
Driver version: 326.70
Direct3D API version: 11
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 96
Core clock: 810 MHz
Shader clock: 1620 MHz
Memory data rate: 1066 MHz
Memory interface: 128-bit
Memory bandwidth: 17.06 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 7828 MB
Dedicated video memory: 4096 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3732 MB
Video BIOS version: 70.08.AD.00.01
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2
Device Id: 10DE 0F00 098F10DE
Part Number: 1071 0008

[Components]

NvGFTrayPluginr.dll 3.7.0.81 NVIDIA GeForce Experience
NvGFTrayPlugin.dll 3.7.0.81 NVIDIA GeForce Experience
nvui.dll 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 8.1.970.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 8.1.970.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA Video Server
NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.13.2670 NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.13.2670 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.13.2670 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module
nvDispSR.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX 09.17.0524 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.13.2670 NVIDIA CUDA 5.5.1 driver
nvGameSR.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 6.14.13.2670 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Pics (From GPU-Z/HWmonitor/Dxdiag) :

http://i.imgur.com/q9v2reP.gif (GPU-Z)

http://i.imgur.com/KjZ6Zp8.png (HW monitor)

- some of those values, core/mem/shader are often lower than shown here, but thats on idle.

- I noticed the fan speed is stuck on 52% no matter what, even after cleaning. I don't have prior knowledge in regards to it to known if its normal or not.

http://i.imgur.com/TFR9szF.png (Dxdiag 32bit/64 bit) - Noticed the difference in memory.

I don't think i'm missing anything else but go ahead and tell me if I need to show more.

Things I've done so far :

Cleaned out the GPU/ Its fan specifically.

I updated to the latest driver, via GeForce Expirence almost immediately after I began experiencing the crashes (latest being 384.76)

uninstalled the driver for the gpu entirely, (after updating) via device manager, let it reload the drivers (326.70) - Did not help.

went into regedit, added the TdrDelay key, did not help either.

One thing I did do, Updated to latest driver via GeForce Experience, shut off my computer for a few hours (4~) and turned it back on, and the crashed stopped for a while. (10 hours, exactly) before happening again. now shutting it off makes no difference, crashes happen regardless.

I've cleaned, checked the PSU and even added another fan for the sake of the temperature, still nothing.

Is there anyway to fix this? or has my GPU simply began dying? (In which case I'll get a new one.)

could it be my monitor's fault? (the monitor itself or either the cable?)

If anyone can figure out a solution to this via the info i've given (and if need be more) and fix this issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

regardless, thanks for your time and or for trying.

Note : (Curren driver version is at 326.70 after clean install, will be updating it manually from Nvidia's site, back to 384.76)

Lutfij

Titan
1| Can you please list your full system's specs like so:
CPU: i5-4440
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU: GT630
Chassis:

2| Have you made sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date?

3| Have you also tried using DDU between each driver reinstalls?

4| Have you also tried narrowing down if older drivers give you any stability?

5| I'd also ask you to state if you've recreated your installer to rule out a corrupt installer.

RicoHet

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
CPU: i5-4440
Motherboard: http://i.imgur.com/wLjS30K.png
Ram: a Single stick, 8GB DDR3, http://i.imgur.com/8b0CZvF.png
SSD/HDD: 2 SSDs, one is portioned in 2 (1st part for the windows/system) and the 2nd part is for other things. second SSD is mostly for additional space.
addtional details from Right click>properties on both drives
WDC WD5000AZRX-00A8LB0 ATA Device. (the system one, partitioned in two.) 500 GB (part 1 100GB; 2nd Part 400GB.)
ST1000DM010-2EP 102 ATA Device. (1TB)

GPU: GT630 extra tidbit : http://i.imgur.com/lnEv4Cc.png
Chassis: it's a custom so I can't really get much details.

Havent really updated my BIOs, lack of knowledge about it/its method kept me from trying.

I got DDU but I didn't try it, instead first updated my driver via geforce expirence first, then uninstalled via device manager and let windows install the driver itself.

4| Have you also tried narrowing down if older drivers give you any stability?

Not really I suppose, Driver update history is : Updated from 376.33 to 384.76, the uninstalled via DM then let windows install to my current version which is 326.70.

Made no effect so I'm somewhat doubtful old drivers will make a difference.

5| I'd also ask you to state if you've recreated your installer to rule out a corrupt installer.

Could you elaborate a little bit?

RicoHet

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017

I figured, but the crash's did start happening BEFORE I bothered updating.

RicoHet

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Installed a new card, a satisfying upgrade. Seems the old 630 had been indeed been at its last breathes, with the new one everything is back to normal, and better.

Thanks for the help, I guess.

For anyone who can and if possible, they can close this thread.

Lutfij

Titan
FYI, it's bad practice to partition an SSD as it degrades the lifespan of the unit however the drives you've listed are both HDD's(Hard Disk Drives) so you're fine with the partitions. On another note, it's good to see that you've resolved the issue after swapping out the old GPU with a new one.

I'm curious though, by custom, would you have a link to the chassis's or did you make it yourself? I'd love to check out a build log or a n image of it.

RicoHet

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Mhm, the HDD is my "main drive", partitioned in 2, a smaller partition for my OS and more important programs (AV, firewall etc) and a larger partition for everything else. Though I went ahead and installed a SSD (Whole,non -partitioned) while getting the new GPU.

As for the chassis, when I say "Custom" I mean it was -Locally- Custom built; As in the chassis was one of many several built by a local retailer (from whom I of course bought my computer) they basically built desktops with their chassis and sold them. They were a few different variants of them but generally all of them were at least "above-average" in overall performance (Gaming, studio work etc) and I believe they were meant for those not wanting to go through the hassle of building one for themselves. (They did obviously offer to have desktops custom-built as per wish.)

They've long stopped making them however, around 2015 IIRC and removed them from their local catalogue so there isn't any way for me to a build log or official image. I hadn't bother to ask them about it.

overall it has one (standard, I guess?) vent in the back (with a fan) 2 vents on the roof (stuck 2 fans there) 2 vents on the "cover" that comes open don't really know what to do with those, as well as a "vent" under it, in the corner which is for the PSU fan.
Seems to use this motherboard : http://www.ascendtech.us/mmImages/b_0/IntelBOXDB85FLtop.jpg , I could be mistaken or may not be the exact model but thats what I got off programs like CPU-Z etc, processor being i5-4440 3.1 ghz Quad.
Thats all I can really give.

I could give a picture of the internals of the chassis I have, but don't count on it, I spent 2 weeks lugging this thing around trying to fix the damn gpu so I'm not all that mentally inclined to lift it up again QQ.

Lutfij

Titan
No, it's alright! I would love to see a picture of the system internals and the system in action ofc but that can always wait and ofc you can shoot it to me via PM when you're comfortable about it. ;)

BTW, scrolling up to read your previous posts, if you have the ISO to your Windows 7 installer (created if you have a backup of the installation Disc) then you might want to try and recreate the installation disc/USB installer to rule out a corrupt installer/installation media.
^ Since the GPU was found to be the culprit, you can forgo the above mentioned step.

RicoHet

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Well I'll casually see to getting a picture or two of the desktop in the next few days, certainly I can get a few pictures of the internals (while turned off) although I don't think it'll be possible when in action due to where it's placed (under my desk, not alot of space there and little lighting), might be bad placement but not much I can do about it (immediately, at least.).