Fx-8350 fps drops and high temperatures

Latomis

Prominent
May 31, 2017
I bought my fx-8350 about half a year ago if even that (few weeks before ryzen release), and at first everything seemed fine, but now when I play games I get constant fps drops.
I was thinking that maybe my cpu is just overheated but i checked programs such like speccy and hw monitor and they all said that my cpu temp was about 30C while idle and only went up to 45C while in game, but that seemed kind of fishy so my friend told me to install speedfan.
After installing speedfan i saw that my cpu temps went up to 74C while in games such like H1Z1 and Rainbow six siege.
I cant even play half of these games anymore since every 30 or so seconds i get massive fps drops (from 60 to 15 fps on H1Z1, 150~100 to 30 fps on R6S).
Even with simple titles such as CS:GO i get fps drops from 300 that drop down to 40 for about 10 seconds.
Its bugging me a lot and it keeps me from playing any type of game.
Current pc:
fx-8350
rx480 4gb
asrock 970 extreme3 R2.0
8gb @1866 mhz
CM hyper 212X.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
For most of these thermal throttling issues I would usually recommend users to refrain from overclocking in the meanwhile, as well as to cool their motherboard components.

Problem Summary
HWMonitor shows the temperature of the CPU, while Speedfan may be showing the Voltage Regulator Module temperatures (aka VRM) which supplies power to the CPU.

Official information
AMD recommends a 990FX motherboard to run 125W CPUs such as the FX 4350,6350, 8350 and 8370. As such your 970 board may be only designed to run at 95W loads and hence is overheating.

Solution
As such I would recommend you to get a fan to cool the VRMs of the board. You should have a spare fan from the stock cooler. Zip tie it where it is positioned...
Use AMD Overdrive to check the thermal margins. With the cooler that you have, the CPU shouldn't overheat. Because you ignored ASRock's recommendation "* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.", the VRM gets so hot that it throttles the CPU (the frequency drops to 1.4 GHz) to protect itself.

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
For most of these thermal throttling issues I would usually recommend users to refrain from overclocking in the meanwhile, as well as to cool their motherboard components.

Problem Summary
HWMonitor shows the temperature of the CPU, while Speedfan may be showing the Voltage Regulator Module temperatures (aka VRM) which supplies power to the CPU.

Official information
AMD recommends a 990FX motherboard to run 125W CPUs such as the FX 4350,6350, 8350 and 8370. As such your 970 board may be only designed to run at 95W loads and hence is overheating.

Solution
As such I would recommend you to get a fan to cool the VRMs of the board. You should have a spare fan from the stock cooler. Zip tie it where it is positioned above the black heatsinks to the left of the CPU socket such that the fan blows air directly onto the VRM heatsinks. This should reduce temperatures to allow some extra headroom for the higher power draw of the CPU. While this may be a quick fix, you should refrain from further stressing the CPU via overclocking or overvolting.

Thank you, and enjoy your new processor.

Solution

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Get a Wraith cooler. It is the one that AMD recommends for most of their processors. It is their stock cooler, but I have an 8350 and I can attest that it works very well and is quite also.

TRENDING THREADS