RX 460 Dual Graphics APU compatibility

Riona1337

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hey guys,
My desktop died recently, and I've been sorting through the working parts. Anyways, turns out my GPU (RX 460 STRIX 4GB version) is fully functional. Since I've been looking at a full rebuild for a while, I decided to go the APU route for AMD's Dual Graphics feature. I haven't been able to find much information on the Internet as far as compatibility with this GPU and the iGPU with the APUs goes. If anyone here has any information on which (if any) APUs will work with this GPU, or if I'm better off purchasing a newer Athlon.

Cheers,
Riona1337.

Solution

Riona1337

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

When I say Athlon I mean the newer ones (Athlon 760?) that are basically the APUs without the iGPU.

Riona1337

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

I have, however Skylake boards are really expensive here in Australia.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There are lots of B250 boards around $100 in Australia. Better $100 on a modern platform than $60-$70 on an ancient one.

Riona1337

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Good shout, but I was looking at the APU for the Dual Graphics feature (Basically crossfiring the iGPU with the dedicated GPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Don't. Using the dual graphics feature requires buying an underwhelming CPU so that you can can have a lousy integrated GPU work together with a lousy discrete GPU to form an underwhelming GPU by working together. You need very specific GPU/APU matchups and it wouldn't do anything with the RX 460 anyway.

There is no scenario in which any of this (either this or buying an FM2+ CPU without integrated GPU) is actually something I can recommend to anyone in 2017. These ideas will serve you very poorly.

Riona1337

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Alright, thanks. Is Vishera still viable? I heard that the 8350 with a good OC outperforms a Kaby Lake i3.

^ it possibly can , running on an expensive board with an aftermarket cooler & a big overclock.

Which would actually make it more expensive .

Take the advice you've been given , on a tight budget the pentium g4560/4600/4620 & a cheap b250 board are easily your best options.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

At the budget required to make an 8350 actually good -- no budget motherboards or cooling -- you could get something better. And you'll be locked into an ancient platform and pretty much any upgrade will result on you needing to buy most of a new PC again (new motherboard, RAM, CPU).

If you want to build an AMD rig in 2017, it's Ryzen or bust.

Solution