FX-8350 Freezes computer with GA970 Gaming SLI

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I've been building my new PC, and I have encountered a freeze/hang problem since I could buy the processor, due it was the last thing I bought I couldn't check if any other thing was misfunctioning. So in the beggining I thought it was the HDD, but I bought a new one and fresh install of Win10.

I saw another thread indicating this site for my MOBO rev 1.0 but it is not on the list the FX-8350, and I wanted to update the BIOS (it is on version F1) https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/GetCpuList/?Value=3908&Type=Product

I already deactivated the turbo boost mode from BIOS and still freezing.

Temperature is okay, CPU is 10º idle, 50º when using

My specs are:

PSU Spektra 650W - 1 year of usage
MSI R9 380 Gaming 2G OC - 1 year of usage
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHZ - 5 months of usage
MOBO Gigabyte GA 970 Gaming SLI - 1 week of usage
HDD Western Digital 500GB - 4 days of usage
RAM Kingston 1x4GB, 1x2GB 1333Mhz - 1 year of usage

Please I'm helpless, I've spent money on this and can't find a solution.

Update: I found the new list https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/GetCpuList/?Value=5654&Type=Product and the FX-8350 Does appear indicating the F1 version of BIOS. What could be the problem then if it seems updated? Or it is outdated?

Solution
Download a program named Prime95, it's a CPU stability test and puts your processor under maximum load.
let it run for 20 mins or so and monitor your temps whilst it runs.
Prime95 will tell you if any of the cores on your CPU fail the test, if it does fail then the CPU is unstable at its current clock speed/voltage balance or it could possibly be faulty or a number of other issues.

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

What makes you think can be the PSU? 650W is not enough?, besides that can be the CPU or MB? Thank you for your fast reply!

Embra

Distinguished
It is a poor "quality PSU. There are different tiers of power supply based on quality and consist power delivery and efficiency. For the hardware you are using, your PSU can not handle the load demanded on it. You really need a higher quality brand and model.

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

I had an M5A78L-M/USB3 with the same PSU, but 4x2gb RAM, but this CPU wasnt on that board. I cant say for sure where the CPU was before, I have to ask to my friend. I dont have any other board to try the CPU. But if I can I will update the post. Thank you for the reply!

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Hi! I had 2x2GB and 1x4GB before, the one of 4GB is kingston and one of the 2GB is kingston too, and the other is other brand. When I put all the RAM it recognized 8GB but only 5,96 where usable, so I took the one that is not Kingston and it is functioning very well with 6GB full usable. So I am using all Kingston RAM now, Should I try removing the 2GB stick anyway? Thank you

jays2pence

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
I'm no expert on RAM just thought it may be worth a try to remove it, see if it changes anything,
in which scenarios are you experiencing lag/system hang? using windows? or only in gaming/intensive tasks?
have you checked the CPU core temperatures?

jays2pence

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
check your temps using Speedfan and run stability test on all cores using prime95
also could try running a memory stability test. you could also try under clocking if you cannot find a solution, by turning of performance boost, turbo core and lowering the multiplier on all cores

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador

No problem. And luckily, that CPU works with that board (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_CPU/), so with the rest of the hardware working with the old board you should be able to narrow it down.

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Temperatures of everything is below 50 ºC - 40 ºC, It hangs very randomly, when in windows it must take several hours to hang, but in gaming just a few minutes, even that is very weird. On Battlefield 4 wont experience any lag or hang, a very smooth gameplay, but in ARMA3 it will hang at menu or a few minutes playing, I just cant get or understand what is happening with the system

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Im thinking it could be the MB, and change it for everything but not gigabyte again...

Benjaxz3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

About temps everything is Okay, nothing goes past 50ºC, and about the rest you said is like chinese, im very novice in that matter. I would appreciate a guide for it.

jays2pence

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Download a program named Prime95, it's a CPU stability test and puts your processor under maximum load.
let it run for 20 mins or so and monitor your temps whilst it runs.
Prime95 will tell you if any of the cores on your CPU fail the test, if it does fail then the CPU is unstable at its current clock speed/voltage balance or it could possibly be faulty or a number of other issues.

Solution

jays2pence

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
also, when you experience system hang hit ctrl+alt+del , go to task manager, performance tab, then check that your HDD is not running at 100% usage, this probably is not the problem, but i had this issue and it would basically freeze my system up