FX-8350 Too Hot with Cooler Master 212 EVO

DroopyPawn

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
AMD FX-8350 with Cooler Master 212 EVO
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1866 PCI-14900 2x8GB
Gigabyte Geforce GTX-1060

I built this rig about 3 years ago. It's always been too hot. After I changed the stock cooler to CM212, it was cooler. Last summer the fan on the CM212 died and I bought some more CM fans to replace it.

The new a12025-12cb-3b1-f1 fan is said to move about 35 to 44CFM of air, depending on which site you check. The CM212 EVO is rated at 25 to 82.9CMF. I don't think I'm moving enough air because my temps get up to 80c or higher when try to play and record Minecraft with OBS. It runs around 60 to 65 just playing while not recording. Today, I put a dollar store fan up near the CM212 and that kept me around 70c while playing and recording.

I've already redone the thermal paste, twice this week. The second time I was more generous and even had a little seeping out. Second try was a little better. Got me down to around 35c at idle from 50ish.

It seems my motherboard cannot change the fan speed so it's stuck at whatever speed it turns, which is around 1200RPM for my current fan.

It's been so bad that I'm considering a newer, more expensive cooler. Or even going to a slower CPU. Maybe a 95w like the FX-8320e or even the FX-6300.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Rather than changing your CPU, change your fan back to something that will move more air. The 212EVO can have fans in push/pull config also. You could consider that.

DroopyPawn

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I redid the paste and got it down in the low 20s at idle. Runs up to about 63c under stress test. This was overclocked to 4.4Ghz at stock voltage.

Doesn't matter anyway because I just finished building a Ryzen 1600 system. Overclocked it to 3.7 GHz at stock voltage and DDR4 is running at 3200. Running a stress test right now. Up to 54c a few minutes in. CPU-Z benchmark is about 94% higher/better on the Ryzen 1600 system vs the FX-8350 system. I've already sold all but the RAM from the 8350 build.

So a brand new computer for less than $300. Awwwwwwww Yeeeeeeeeeeah!!

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017

Which is the same thing as stock Hyper 212 EVO, manufactured by the same yours truly Coolermaster.

The stock Hyper fan is similar to this
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/blade-master-120/

Anyway since DroopyPawn has switched over to Ryzen it's all good now. Although the Hyper 212 EVO with a proper fan is still better than Wraith Spire from the Ryzen 5.

Approximate performance
Wraith Max/Old Wraith = Hyper 212 Evo
Wraith Spire = Hyper T4
Wraith Stealth = Hyper TX3

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

Not even close to the same thing. The Evo 212 is a tower cooler, the Wraiths are blow down coolers. They move air entirely differently. If you have a board without good VRM cooling, the Wraith works better. If you have good VRM cooling, then the 212 Evo can transfer heat better. The fan part may be the same, but they do not move air in no where near the same fashion because of the way the heatsinks are made. I almost bought a Evo 212 but was advised against it by others here. After doing some research, the MB I had specifically said to use a blow down cooler with the FX processors and not to use a tower cooler as it wouldn't cool the VRM properly. And most mini-ATX boards have poor VRM cooling, which is why they say to only use blow down cooling for those.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Sure, if you have crappy VRM then top down cooler is better. M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is actually a pretty good mobo though, it doesn't need a top down cooler. Noctua has NH-C14 which is a beast of a top down cooler for that usage, though it's rather massive.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

Maybe. But I see a lot of posts online where people had heat issues with that particular board and the most common solution was to put a fan right over the VRM. But it does have a decent heat sink over the VRM, so it could also be a situation with poor case flow overall. A lot of people will put a CPU fan on but not have case fans pushing and pulling air properly through the entire area. A fan on the front and on the back, pushing and pulling, helps tremendously.